Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer tach and speedo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autometer tach and speedo ?

Im using autometer phantom 5 inch dash tach and speedo.The speedo is mechanical and just broke this weekend going to a show.Cable was snapped to rplaced it and still nothing ,tried moving speedo and it only moves a few times and stops so something in there isnt right.So first question is if i get a programable one what else do i need?And i still havent got my tach to read right.I moved the dip switchs for all 3 modes 4 cyl,6cyl and 8 cyl and neither read even close.Wont go over 2500 rpm and idles around 450.Which it really is idleing at 850.I put the tach in another 8 cyl motor and it works fine it that car but not when i hook it up to a10 from the pcm.I also dont remember if jesse changed it in my pcm or not either.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill try to help ya. I see you are running a 700R4. And Im guessing its a cable speedo since thats what you are running. You will need to get a converter box that will translate the cable input into an electrical output for the programmable speedo. Actually...now that I think about it, do you already have a box to feed the PCM info from the trans? If so, I believe you can use the same output for the programmable speedo. Can you give some more info on your trans set up and what all you have going on??

As for the tach, sounds like either something in the PCM is off, or the tach is defective. My 5" phantom worked perfect after I switched it to 4cyl mode... If the tach worked good on a nother motor, Ide lean more towards PCM programming...or an issue with a wire somewhere.

Justin
Old 05-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Justin thanks,yes im using a 700r4 and using a cable driven speedo gear setup.I originally ran a modified tpi setup and used a painless wiring vss adapter through the speed buffer box,worked fine then.So most likely ill need a convertor box to make it easier.
As far as the tach im gone to pull it out tonight and recheck it again.Thanks for the help
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Teching In

Default tach

Call autometer ,they will tell you to send the tach in . They said it
happens all the time with Ls computers. The output signal
on the computer is a lower voltage than most other cars and
they have to recalibrate it. Would be nice if they told you this!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh...Ive never heard of that happening before.... Mine (same model) hooked right up with no issues. The only gauge that no one can seem to make work is the fuel level gauge with the 4th gen tank...

I guess sending it back might be what you need to do, but Ide check your wiring and have your buddy double check the PCM since you werent sure if he changed anything with that or not.

J.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Launching!

yeah im pulling it out tonight was busy watching kid last few nights,ill check it again if not ill call autometer to see if i have to send it back or not,thanks guys for the info.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Launching!

ok everything wired right,my brother came over with efilive and its set at a value of 6 tach pulses high and tach pulses low,also i noticed its says tach pullup enable is checked yes.

If Enabled, the Tacho Output will have the PCM's internal 12V pullup applied to the output signal.
If using an aftermarket Tacho please check with the manufacturer if this would be required.

Quick Reply: Autometer tach and speedo ?