Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3bar sensor, how do you keep it plugged in the intake under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3bar sensor, how do you keep it plugged in the intake under boost?

I replaced my stock sensor with the new 3 bar sensor in the same intake hole. It seems to be a good spot for it but I'm worried about it popping out under boost. It doesn't seem to be in there too tight. I'm going in for my sd tune on thursday and I don't want this to hold things up. I was thinking about using a large zip tie around it to make sure it can't come out but I bet some of you have thought of a better way. Let me know how you have yours installed or if you just have it plugged in with no problems. Also how much boost? I don't think my car will make more than 7-8 psi so at that level it might not even be a concern but if it keeps popping out, I'm sure my tuner won't be very pleased. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rufretic
I replaced my stock sensor with the new 3 bar sensor in the same intake hole. It seems to be a good spot for it but I'm worried about it popping out under boost. It doesn't seem to be in there too tight. I'm going in for my sd tune on thursday and I don't want this to hold things up. I was thinking about using a large zip tie around it to make sure it can't come out but I bet some of you have thought of a better way. Let me know how you have yours installed or if you just have it plugged in with no problems. Also how much boost? I don't think my car will make more than 7-8 psi so at that level it might not even be a concern but if it keeps popping out, I'm sure my tuner won't be very pleased. Better safe than sorry.
First of all, why go 3bar if you are only using half of 2bar? With a 2bar sensor you will be good up to ~ 14psi.

Secondly, I suggest you plug the hole and connect the MAP to a secure vac source if you are running very high boost. For under 10psi, I dont think you'll have a problem using the stock location. Just make sure it is snapped in. Sometimes it is hard to tell, but you will feel it snap in. I've seen the MAP sensors pop out above 13psi. If this happens with a SD tune, you could possibly be fuked. It will read atmosphere (zero boost) when you are truly boosting and it wont give the motor anywhere near the fuel it needs and then kaboom. Time to build a new motor.

If I were running this type of setup with very high boost (over 10psi), I would personally just connect it via hose.

Now, you will know when it pops off if the car is idling. It will run like ****. But if it pops off during high boost, which is obviously the only time it will actually pop off, and you arent aware of it, you will run lean!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running my map sensor in the regular hole in the back of the intake running 16 lbs of boost with no problems of it coming out of the hole.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you need to use 2 bar you can call BOB @ EPP he will give you 2 bar map sensor that you can plug it in the back of the intake and you will be good to go .and for the 3bar map sensor you gust plug the hole in the back and use any VAC. in my car am using 3 bar map sensor in MY V.G intake have a VAC hole that i can take it from the side of the intake.good luck
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSnakekiller
First of all, why go 3bar if you are only using half of 2bar? With a 2bar sensor you will be good up to ~ 14psi.

Secondly, I suggest you plug the hole and connect the MAP to a secure vac source if you are running very high boost. For under 10psi, I dont think you'll have a problem using the stock location. Just make sure it is snapped in. Sometimes it is hard to tell, but you will feel it snap in. I've seen the MAP sensors pop out above 13psi. If this happens with a SD tune, you could possibly be fuked. It will read atmosphere (zero boost) when you are truly boosting and it wont give the motor anywhere near the fuel it needs and then kaboom. Time to build a new motor.

If I were running this type of setup with very high boost (over 10psi), I would personally just connect it via hose.

Now, you will know when it pops off if the car is idling. It will run like ****. But if it pops off during high boost, which is obviously the only time it will actually pop off, and you arent aware of it, you will run lean!
Thats a little scary, I'm not willing to risk it so I have to do something. The 3 bar is what the shop doing my tuning gave me, I think it's because they know I plan to go up in boost down the road.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I tapped the stock hole for a brass barbed fitting and hose to the Map etc... the two bar you can get at the dealer it is a map sensor for a saturn redline S/C.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well I tapped the stock hole for a brass barbed fitting and hose to the Map etc... the two bar you can get at the dealer it is a map sensor for a saturn redline S/C.
That's what I wanted to do but it's too hard to get at back there and I don't want to have to take off the intake.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by firehawk123
and for the 3bar map sensor you gust plug the hole in the back and use any VAC. in my car am using 3 bar map sensor in MY V.G intake have a VAC hole that i can take it from the side of the intake.good luck
Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

That's what I wanted to do but it's too hard to get at back there and I don't want to have to take off the intake.
Well I had mine off anyways. You can alway put a t in the brake booster hose and run it to the map sensor also.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well I had mine off anyways. You can alway put a t in the brake booster hose and run it to the map sensor also.
That's the problem, I already have the boost gauge sensor and the hobbs switch mounted in the brake boost line. The two openings in the front are used for the fuel regulator and the by pass valve. I'm running out of spots.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

At the risk of making this too technical here's something to consider. I don't have a map sensor handy at the moment to measure, but let's say the hole in the manifold is .250". That's only .049" sq inches. At that size with 28 psi in the manifold (2 bar of boost) you would only have 1 3/8 psi of force trying to pop out the sensor and grommet. This is easily overcome and usually isn't a problem at all.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running 2 bar and had the map sensor pop out due to me botching the install when putting things back together...didn't snap it all the way in.

I was making a boosted tuning pass when it popped out. The car defaulted to a 11.5 a/f ratio on its own as measured by my HPT and WBo2. After I let off the a/f stayed that way until I got it home, talk about running like a dog, but it was pretty safe.

I noticed what was up when I took a quick look at my MAP pid on HPT and saw that it flatlined....knew what happened right away after that, and the huge sucking noise coming from the intake LOL. Glad GM did that "save" in the tune themselves.

My experience with it popping out....but I doubt it'll pop out if you install it right.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

i made a bracket that bolts to the back that when tightened down it pushes down on it and wouldnt come out then .
Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still think this is the best way.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is that a pic of MightyMouse's intake?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope Its mine. I took the pic cause there was always alot of questions about it, And it was easier to show a pic than explain.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I'm running 2 bar and had the map sensor pop out due to me botching the install when putting things back together...didn't snap it all the way in.

I was making a boosted tuning pass when it popped out. The car defaulted to a 11.5 a/f ratio on its own as measured by my HPT and WBo2. After I let off the a/f stayed that way until I got it home, talk about running like a dog, but it was pretty safe.

I noticed what was up when I took a quick look at my MAP pid on HPT and saw that it flatlined....knew what happened right away after that, and the huge sucking noise coming from the intake LOL. Glad GM did that "save" in the tune themselves.

My experience with it popping out....but I doubt it'll pop out if you install it right.
The car will not default to 11.5. It will read the VE table at atmosphere, 1bar 14.7psi (not 14.7psi boost).

At whatever kpa that might be, it will adjust fueling according to those cells at that level in the VE table.

In our case, at 10+psi when it popped off, the wideband on the dyno immediately read 14.5+ AFR and we immediately let off.

Either making a bracket to make sure it stays down, or tapping into the vac line off the brake booster are 2 good ways to ensure this doesnt happen on a SD tune.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a log of it, the car defaulted to 11.5 to 1 verified by my WBo2 that feeds directly into my HPT. It also through a code for the MAP, but whatever.

Quick Reply: 3bar sensor, how do you keep it plugged in the intake under boost?