Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery Relocation Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Relocation Question

i am currently looking into relocating my battery to the well in my 02 Z28. I noticed that there are a couple of different options including a 1 gauge and 2 guage battery wire.....along with a welding wire option.

what are the differences and what is standard?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Honestly, 4 guage being minimal, 2 guage or 0/1 recommended. But it really depends on what demand of power is required. Assuming your replacing your alternator too. Make sure the power cable from the front battery to the back has a fuse on it closest to the front battery. Make sure you ground the second battery to the chassis. The seat belt bolts work great. I haven't seen any so called standard but you will get other ideas to where to place the battery. Mine is the spare compartment in the back. There's a kit to put it where the spare tire is. Some even put it in the trunk spot.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relocating a battery is not the same as adding a second battery.

2 gauge or better will be fine if you're not running a big system, otherwise just go for the 1/0.

I do recommend welding wire because it's cheap - I use www.weldingsupply.com
Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, i am not adding a second battery....just relocating my optima red top to the trunk for weight distribution.

there is no system in the car currently and i dont plan on it anytime soon. I think Taylor has a good setup through Summit that i might end up going with.

if you have any other tips or tricks just let me know.

thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Relocating a battery is not the same as adding a second battery.

2 gauge or better will be fine if you're not running a big system, otherwise just go for the 1/0.

I do recommend welding wire because it's cheap - I use www.weldingsupply.com
yes, he did say relocating. I surely wasn't paying attention. Do buy the relocation kit. I seen it at summit. I forgot the damn name of the company.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2002SilverZ28
yeah, i am not adding a second battery....just relocating my optima red top to the trunk for weight distribution.

there is no system in the car currently and i dont plan on it anytime soon. I think Taylor has a good setup through Summit that i might end up going with.

if you have any other tips or tricks just let me know.

thanks.
yeap, that's the company name.