Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley install questions - bent bolt?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default crank pulley install questions - bent bolt?

I tried installing my crank pulley and bent the bolt I was using to draw it in… sort of.

Here’s what I did – I pushed the balancer onto the crankshaft snout, and then threaded in a 150mm long metric bolt (8.8 grade) with a nut and washer threaded all the way to the head. I screwed the bolt into the crankshaft until it stopped, and then backed it out half a turn. I then started turning the nut (not the bolt) and the nut started to push the pulley onto the crank. I stopped and took the bolt off when the pulley was halfway on and noticed that the bolt was bent a little. Is this normal??

There’s a LITTLE bit of rust on the crankshaft but it feels pretty smooth. There’s no rust or anything on the pulley. I lubed both the crank snout and the pulley with motor oil.

Any thoughts? Is bending the bolt normal? I just don’t want to break that bolt off in the crank.

Thanks, -Dave
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You seem to have a rather long piece of bolt sticking out, and they are much weaker in bending then in tension. Try not to pull the bolt to the side while turning the nut. Based on your description, the crank should be fine and I would continue to use your setup to push it all the way on, don't resort to using a bolt to pull it on.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - do people usually use a setup like mine to pull it on, or something else?

Search this Thread