LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replace Rear Main Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Rear Main Seal?

I did some searching and wondered what you thought. From my understanding, the rear main seals do not really leak that often.

I have an LT1 motor and a T56 trans out and apart that are going in an RX7. I am replacing the clutch and flywheel anyway, and the pains of doing this in car do not exist.

Would it be a good idea to replace the rear main? The motor has 120k on it. When I pulled the trans apart it is completely black and greasy in the bell housing, but most of the gunk is clutch no doubt.

I'm assuming it would be a good idea to replace it now while it is easy, and if I do what do I need besides the seal itself? I saw some people recommending get some sort of tool, and if so where do you get it?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Seal

The rear main is a snap to replace, when you buy the seal it should come with the plastic installation tool, at least mine did. It is just like replacing the seal on the timing cover.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
The rear main is a snap to replace, when you buy the seal it should come with the plastic installation tool, at least mine did. It is just like replacing the seal on the timing cover.
Where did you get yours from?

http://autozone.com/R,APP803581/vehi...ductDetail.htm

Would something like that have it? They had 3 things pictured in the previous page, or did you get it from the dealer or something?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

just get the one from advance auto. its like 18 bucks and comes with gasket and seal. no tool, but you dont need one. im swapping an lt1 into my monte and the seal wasnt leaking, but what the hell, its out so you might as well do it. it takes 10 minutes now compared to hours later
Old 05-15-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the felpro, and make sure you get the correct install tool,.

I think its a good idea to replace it while you are down there, very good logical choise
Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeneas
Where did you get yours from?

http://autozone.com/R,APP803581/vehi...ductDetail.htm

Would something like that have it? They had 3 things pictured in the previous page, or did you get it from the dealer or something?
There is an auto parts here in Waco that sell AC Delco parts, They are cheaper than the dealer, That is where I got mine.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Replace it now while you are here..it's pretty easy too
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Already replaced it, though I couldn't get a tool...

I pushed it in with my hands and then tapped it in with a press... It doesn't want to go in any farther but I'd hate to get it in and have the oil come rushing out. It is flush or slightly deeper than the outside metal lip, I think that should be ok?

Also, when I was trying to tap it in with the press, I pushed in the inner diameter in a few spots more than the rest (as in I created some slight dimples in the ID), does this matter? Does that even make sense?

Quick Reply: Replace Rear Main Seal?