Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please help... (I have searched)

Old 05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Please help... (I have searched)

So I take my SS out for a drive the other day, and drive about 20 miles or so. Long story short, I try to spin the tires a bit as I turn back towards home, and the clutch will not grab above something like 4000-4500+ rpms. It just slips. I slowly drive to the nearest gas station (200 yards or so), and the car drives fine. As I pull over, I can obviously smell it. I shut the car off. I figure I can limp it to a friends house nearby. It drives fine as normal to his house. I can run it up to about the same point,(4000-4500 and up) then it slips again. The car only has 3500 miles on it, and yes I do know how to drive a manual transmission car. I am trying to figure out if storing the car for most of its life may be linked to the problem. Any suggestions on what may be occuring?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humm, have heard many stories about stock clutches. Wondering if this is the beginning of another story.
I'm betting it's not leaking anything right?
Unfortunately the clutch will have to be inspected/ likely replaced.
Have heard & seen many stock pressure plates not able to hold.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Just wondering. Don't know. On a car that has been sitting. If the clutch disk has metalic pieces in it. Like a brake pad. After time. Sitting in the garage. Rust wouldn't occour from moister? Reason I said this. I own a few MG's. If they sit for quite a time. Years. It's common for the clutch disk to rust to the flywheel. If rusted a bit, few months. Then you have to get the rust, err dust outta it & why it's slipping? Thoughts? Dave
Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the insight, I have stored the car for 5 winters now nd this is the first time I have had this problem.

Search this Thread