Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw it IM Caming IT....BUT

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Screw it IM Caming IT....BUT

I decided to cam my ride and would like to know what you guys recommend for my lil set up!! I know I'm getting pushrods, but what kind of springs should I buy? and if you can please tell me the part numbers. What kind of oil pump, timing chain, head gaskets and lifters? I would also like to use as many GM parts as possible, I still have warranty and a GM dealer will be Tuning and installing my cam, so I can keep my warranty. My mods are in my SIG

Thank you in advance!!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure your warrenty will cover a cam swap?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Yup, GM product installed by Gm mechanic! already discused!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Your GM dealer will be tuning and installing the cam? huh? I guesse you're pretty much limited to GMs hot cams or LS6 cam then right?

You might think about finding a sponsor in your area and getting a more worthwhile cam and tuning. GM dealer won't know or have the ability to do what you want. Consider Thunder Racing's 224/224 114LSA (for sniffer) or 112LSA for more fun.

Either way.... reccomendations

LS6 oil pump (optionally ported from TSP/TR/Katech/ etc.)
LS2 Timing Chain
Comp 918 springs( up .600 lift) w/titanium retainers
Comp Hi-Tech One Piece Chrome-moly pushrods
Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fibbado
Your GM dealer will be tuning and installing the cam? huh? I guesse you're pretty much limited to GMs hot cams or LS6 cam then right?

You might think about finding a sponsor in your area and getting a more worthwhile cam and tuning. GM dealer won't know or have the ability to do what you want. Consider Thunder Racing's 224/224 114LSA (for sniffer) or 112LSA for more fun.

Either way.... reccomendations

LS6 oil pump (optionally ported from TSP/TR/Katech/ etc.)
LS2 Timing Chain
Comp 918 springs( up .600 lift) w/titanium retainers
Comp Hi-Tech One Piece Chrome-moly pushrods

Yea I know its justa baby cam but it was free!!w/200 miles on it!! brotha
Trust me they do know, they will be using EFI live

TSP is, texas wacha ma call it right?

Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

sounds like you got it worked out, your limited with gm parts so tell them you want GM High Performance cam swap and all the goodies that need to be changed with cam up grade.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
sounds like you got it worked out, your limited with gm parts so tell them you want GM High Performance cam swap and all the goodies that need to be changed with cam up grade.
Yea I do want to use GM performance parts and want to know the part numbers, so I can try to purchase them from a sponsor cheaper than a dealer.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me thats a total waste of money. I bet you won't get the performance your hopin for from what they are gonna give you. And I highly doubt they will get it tuned as good as a shop that does custom tuning all day. Don't have too much faith in dealerships or it'll bite you in the ***.

And TSP is Texas Speed & Performance. Very good shop for parts or tuning. Your also gonna spend way more at a dealership for a complete install with parts over aftermarket stuff & a weekend of installs in your driveway or friends house.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
To me thats a total waste of money. I bet you won't get the performance your hopin for from what they are gonna give you. And I highly doubt they will get it tuned as good as a shop that does custom tuning all day. Don't have too much faith in dealerships or it'll bite you in the ***.

And TSP is Texas Speed & Performance. Very good shop for parts or tuning. Your also gonna spend way more at a dealership for a complete install with parts over aftermarket stuff & a weekend of installs in your driveway or friends house.

The guy that gave me the cam is Mike Alsop The WINNER of the hit spike tv show BULLRUN!!The same tech that built Mike's WS6 in gonna tune and work on mine!! They do nothing BUT TUNE VETTES, camaros and Firebirds and not to forget the GTO's. Yes they are a dealer but a dealer that mods and tunes GM cars. They have a dept. dedicated to that!!!!!!!!
He won that race on the hotcam and the cam is in excellent cond. he was making 400hp with Lingenfelter heads and the hotcam,QTP LT's and flowmaster catback!I know I went 2x's to see him at the dealer!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Yea, like their false as **** numbers they were talkin about. LOL.

Take that stuff with a grain of salt man. It's not much of a feat to win a race where you aren't supposed to speed. All you need is better navigation skills then the people your racing against. It's not like they blew everyones doors off or something. Don't get caught up in the hype.

If you think you'll be happy, go ahead. But after you get it all in & buttoned up go find a race with a car that is only sportin a baby 224 cam & see how well your hot cam fairs.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Yea, like their false as **** numbers they were talkin about. LOL.

Take that stuff with a grain of salt man. It's not much of a feat to win a race where you aren't supposed to speed. All you need is better navigation skills then the people your racing against. It's not like they blew everyones doors off or something. Don't get caught up in the hype.

If you think you'll be happy, go ahead. But after you get it all in & buttoned up go find a race with a car that is only sportin a baby 224 cam & see how well your hot cam fairs.
OH i do take it stuff on here w/ a grain of salt. I never once mentioned anything about speed though!

Dont get caught up in the Hype your self w/ cars and big lift cams!!
Sure they are gonna make more HP, but their reliability and wear and tear will start to take its toll, and you cant deny that!!
Dont forget the driver, if Mr. big lift TSP loyal customer cant drive or put that HP to the ground then Mr. smaller than baby cam CAN do some spankin!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Tell that to all the big number daily drivers that will walk you whenever they choose. Don't forget the forums can be a little brash sometimes and that shops DO tend to twist numbers just like we all do. I've worked in several shops since I was a measly 14 year old wrench hand and you see it everyday, so like the guys are saying, take it with a grain of salt, and dont forget the guys here are trying to help you..

Originally Posted by litle8
OH i do take it stuff on here w/ a grain of salt. I never once mentioned anything about speed though!

Sure they are gonna make more HP, but their reliability and wear and tear will start to take its toll, and you cant deny that!!
Dont forget the driver, if Mr. big lift TSP loyal customer cant drive or put that HP to the ground then Mr. smaller than baby cam CAN do some spankin!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

Oh don't get me wrong I know that, believe me. I do my share of helping. Look at the "damn it to hell" thread in the external section, or ask tainted. You also got to stand up for yourself a lil too!!
But anyways, anyone have any products w/part numbers they recommend! for my baby cam? please!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

you my friend are indeed...

AN IDIOT
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast99z28

you my friend are indeed...

AN IDIOT
Slow down, Mr. 18yr old keyboard gangster . I need some info here!! not dumbass comments. Help or
Old 05-17-2007, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by litle8

LOL, I hope your not tryin to talk about my cam goin in. Its definetly not a high lift cam, but I guarentee it'll walk a hot cam on the street or strip. I'll have very minimal valvetrain wear with my set-up & make about 410-420 RWHP. My set-up has been thought out & talked about with several of the site vendors for a long time.

And as for bein loyal to vendors, hell ya I am. They have helped me & hooked me up so many times in the past. Why shouldn't I be?? There are several vendors on here I always refer people to b/c they give solid advice & are good companies to deal with.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your after the GM Hot Cam a sponser supplies one.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=51
go to the bottom of the page, GM Performance Parts.

They an also do all the other parts you require. However I expect many other sponsers can too.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an FYI for ya..A tech 2 tool will not "tune" your car after the cam installation..that is the tool that GM tenicians use in the dealerships...LS1 Edit or another program is what is used to tune a PCM in a LS1..your choice of cams is very limited if you use GM parts..not really worth the time and $$ to do it..go after market with you cam choice and you will be very happy with the results instead of disapointed by using a GM camshaft..

PS Tell me a bout reliability dude..I just put 43,000 miles on a TSP torquer cam (233/233 .595/.595 112) with PRC dual springs as a dailey driver..no reliablity issues to deal with here.

Last edited by slt200mph; 05-17-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Just an FYI for ya..A tech 2 tool will not "tune" your car after the cam installation..that is the tool that GM tenicians use in the dealerships...LS1 Edit or another program is what is used to tune a PCM in a LS1..your choice of cams is very limited if you use GM parts..not really worth the time and $$ to do it..go after market with you cam choice and you will be very happy with the results instead of disapointed by using a GM camshaft..

PS Tell me a bout reliability dude..I just put 43,000 miles on a TSP torquer cam (233/233 .595/.595 112) with PRC dual springs as a dailey driver..no reliablity issues to deal with here.
No sir they will be using EFI live, they also use LS1 edit. It's like a speed shop for GM cars at the dealer!
Like I said before, the cam was free!
I don't need any high lift cam, I just need advice as to which parts to purchase for the cam install,ie springs,P.R.,timing chains,oil pumps w/part numbers that people here have used and are happy with!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

shoulds your shop know that info? get whatever parts cam from and LS6 since thats all you can really use. Oh, and what is this shop called?