Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by Wire or Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive by Wire or Cable?

Swapping an LS2 in my 67 camaro, what does everyone recommend for throttle cable?
Running a Fast intake and throttle body with billet fuel rails.
Thanks for the help.

Rich
Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are going to use the drive by cable, you want the Lokar cable and a 6cyl/Cross ram pedal. You cannot use your existing pedal unless the camaro was a 6cyl or a cross ran Z/28 (but why would you cut that up?) The pedal runs about $60, and the cable is another $60. You can use either the factory bracket, or the Lokar piece. It runs $40, but looks really nice. Check our thread for the various pitfalls and whatnot we have found on out 67 Camaro....
Old 05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Teching In

So what's the most popular choice? I plan on using an OEM harness reworked by speartech.

Thanks for the reply,

Rich

PS. I been following your thread for some time.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

See mixed opinions on the drive by wire setup vs. the drive by cable. Cable seems easier to me, and has a few less things to find a way to mount in the bay. If you have the full drive by wire setup (pedal and module), it may be a lot simpler for you to keep it that way. You may want to call John at Speartech and ask him what is involved in going from wire to cable. Both work, but the cable app will use a pedal assembly that was offered in the Camaro.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you are using a FAST throttlebody, that pretty much implies are running a cable (not drive by wire) doesn't it?

I'm using a repro 69 cyl gas pedal from Rick's First Gen, and the Lokar throttle cable. The other day I put some split tubing over the Lokar housing to hide it--too blingy for my tastes, and rubbing knuckles against braided stainless sucks! (kept rubbing it when I was unbolting the steering ragjoint)
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have Speartechs LS7 wire set up from my LS7 swap. Haven't put it to the test yet but John assures me it will work well.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Teching In

I basically have a stock LS2 crate motor. Stock intake and TB but, I planned on buying a fast intake this week.
I will call john at speartech and see what the best options are.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich,

I'm PTAddict from the Lat-g forum. One thing to consider here is that an OEM ECU is not as easy to tune for performance mods as an aftermarket unit with wide band O2 sensors, like the Big Stuff 3. Also, I prefer to eliminate the MAF in a swap situation, to clean up the intake tract, but that requires "speed density" tuning. The latest DBW ECU, called the E38, effectively can't be tuned for speed density right now - I think the earlier E40 can be ... but it requires fairly specialized tuning software and expertise.

Of course, none of the aftermarket ECU units will work with DBW throttle bodies. Or Speartech harnesses, for that matter ...

Finally, if you do get a cable TB, I would recommend not choosing the FAST 90 MM, as numerous people have found them to stick partially open (very fast idle), including me. I tried two of them, and they both did the same thing. I ended up with a TPIS 90 MM throttle body, and I hear the UMI Racing 90 MM is even better (more predictable throttle tip-in).
Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Teching In

PT, thanks for the info. That really helps me with some decisions here.

So many damn things to buy and with a plethora of aftermarket companies to choose from it's hard to know which is best.
Thanks again for chiming in.

Rich
Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rich-allen
So many damn things to buy and with a plethora of aftermarket companies to choose from it's hard to know which is best.
I hear you on that one!!!!!!