Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI belt issues, first style C5 setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ATI belt issues, first style C5 setup

Recently installed a used ATI kit, with some nice upgrades. At the moment, I am having a couple of problems.

1. The belt, is wearing improperly on the front side, maybe one rib. Everything SEEEEEEMS to look aligned but, I think I might have the crank pulley possibly not on all the way. I'll check that this weekend.

2. The belt, on the way to the dyno, is jumping off the tensioner, everytime the car bucks, or the tensioner has a chance to recoil., Causing the belt, to at some point, come completely off.

Anyone think a solid tensioner would work for problem 2? I don't think it's related to problem 1 but, it's very possible.

I'm thinking I might have to upgrade the bracket but,...I am outta coin for a bit.

Any idea's...J dogg would appreciate it. lol,...after installing over 40 forced induction kits on various cars....the one that I am stumped on, ends up being my own. Figures.

Anyways,..thanks in advance.

J
Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the belt alignment corrected first, then see if you still have a problem. At 6 to 8 psi, you shouldn't be having belt problems with the 1st gen design. You could have a worn out tensioner though... Bob
Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Get the belt alignment corrected first, then see if you still have a problem. At 6 to 8 psi, you shouldn't be having belt problems with the 1st gen design. You could have a worn out tensioner though... Bob

Thank you for our reply.

ATI super damper, not keyed(can't find a tool), with the heads, and cam, it makes around that PSI. Small pulley, I think 4.125. I think. Measure it today.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever seen a replacement pulley for the tensioner that has higher 'sides' to help keep the belt in the groove?
After watching the belt walk off on the dyno 4-5 times, it looked like this would help a bit.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default belts

I was also having problems with my belts. I was running a 12 rib set up and it would eat the first one or two ribs. I took a straight edge and placed it flat against the crank pulley and the supercharger pulley and measured the distance. I then had a billet spacer made to those dimensions. No more belt issues...
Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

One other thing you can check. Being a 1st Gen take a look at the thermostat housing on the water pump. On the top side of the therm. housing there is a little tit sticking up. If I remember correctly the belt comes around the balancer up to the 3" idler pulley on the charger then back down to the relocated factory tensioner. When you stomp on it the factory tensioner will flex down torward that tit on the thermostat housing. I had to file mine down.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I was also having problems with my belts. I was running a 12 rib set up and it would eat the first one or two ribs. I took a straight edge and placed it flat against the crank pulley and the supercharger pulley and measured the distance. I then had a billet spacer made to those dimensions. No more belt issues...

smart man.

where did you place the spacer...of which pulley? the crank/blower?

Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikep2002
One other thing you can check. Being a 1st Gen take a look at the thermostat housing on the water pump. On the top side of the therm. housing there is a little tit sticking up. If I remember correctly the belt comes around the balancer up to the 3" idler pulley on the charger then back down to the relocated factory tensioner. When you stomp on it the factory tensioner will flex down torward that tit on the thermostat housing. I had to file mine down.

good idea mike.

I have a 2005 water pump, which I originally thought would be an issue, so I did gring that down before final installation. Turns out, on my ca, it clears by a mile.

Thanks though,...I thought I was gonna have the same issue.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

bump skippidy bump
Old 05-22-2007, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

There`s always plan B call Bob over at EPP and order an 8 rib kit. Thats the new approach I have taken. And plan C gets more expensive call ECS and order there custom bracket.

Quick Reply: ATI belt issues, first style C5 setup