Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 v6 to LS1

Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 v6 to LS1

ok, what i have is a 2000 v6 auto with about 160k mi on it. it runs good and everything, but i want to stick a ls1 in it and keep the outside original. my question is pretty much what is the cheapest way to go about swapping the engines. i dont know if it would be better to buy the engine, or just buy a wrecked car and switch everything out. also, if i buy a wrecked car, does it have to be exactly the same year to do a complete swap? there are a few wrecked 98's in a local junkyard, but i dont want to buy it then find out i cant do the whole thing.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Get a 2000 and up since you already have a 2000 Car. That swap will be easy to do.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best way to do what you're asking would be to have a whole donor car to switch the engine, driveshaft and differential out of. That way you could get all the extras like the fuel tank, lines, wiring, PCM, cooling lines, etc.

The real best way is to sell that car for whatever you can get for it and buy a Z28 since a Z28 automatic of the same year as yours can be had for 8 or 9 grand. Figure your car is worth about $4000-4500 now, plus around 4-5000 in parts to do the conversion, plus a ton of your labor and time, plus when you're done you'll havea frankenstein of a car that won't be worth as much as a real Z. The only benefit to the swap is cheap insurance. Which can be a double edged blade since if you wreck it or if someone steals it you get V6 values applied to your claim.

But if you're stuck on converting it look for a whole car. I can probably source one for you for in your area if you would like.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

I see your point. My problem is that I got my car from my mom, who bought it new, and the stipulation she gave me was that I couldn't get rid of it. End value isnt of real concern to me, I dont plan on selling it anytime soon. I just put a ton of money into the audio, so I dont want to have to gut the insides out to put it all into another car. I think I can get a wrecked 2000 camaro for about $3500. My and my friend have plenty of time to do it, so thats not really a problem. I'm just basically trying to find about how much I'm going to have to do to get a working car...
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever anyone tells you about the time or money it may take multiple them by 2 or 10 .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 v6 to LS1