Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling fan problem

After deleting A/C and making some changes in cooling fan settings the fans don't turn off anymore once started. It keeps on blowing at stage 2. According to AutoTap the coolant temp is below turn off point. I probed the PCM fan relay controls and it is definately keeping the fans on. I also tried to put stock fan settings back but it did not help.

I changed DTC 530 to type-X as that was the only DTC on. I have also type-X:d AIR and EGR codes.

What can this be ? Helms says 'some' trouble codes will put the fans on all the time but does not say which ones. Does anybody have more info on those ? Does Type-X:ing DTCs work with this kind of PCM features anyway ? Has anybody experinced this ?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Cooling fan problem

I am sure you will get a better response than I can provide. But I remember reading in the Helms that when the A/C comes on the computer usually turns the fans on (I am sure it looks at coolant temp, etc). Anyway there may be a relay that is now causing the fans to come on.

Gary
Old 04-28-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

Ok thanks, I'll check that. At least it's then ruled out.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

OK now the fans work. I type X:d 2 more codes, 1415 and 1416. Don't know if these AIR system codes should have anything to do with this or not. The codes did not show up in Autotap even though they were enabled. A/C request comes directly from the switch so that wasn't the problem.

Does the PCM circuitry tolerate unconnected inputs or is it possible for it to go into some unstable state because of these ? I have some unconnected pins from AIR, EGR and A/C.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Launching!

i know some of the EGR codes will turn the fans on,
and they will stay on until the codes are fixed.