General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Gas needle fluctuating...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas needle fluctuating...help

I've already searched for the answer, but came up with none. Close, but not whats going on with my car...

My gas gauge yesterday was pinned at full and wouldn't move. Well I've continued watching it and whenever I first crank up the car (if the engine is cold),the gas gauge will shoot up to full. After about 5 minutes it drops down to the actual mark of how much gas I have. Once I put the car in drive after cranking it, after about 10 minutes of driving it is all the way back up to full again. This morning when I did this, it dropped down to half a tank when I cranked it. Then once I arrived at work it was back up to full again. I then put it back in park and watched the needle fluctuate in between completely full and the actual FULL mark. I bought gas from a Flying J the other day b/c they were about 10 cents cheaper than everyone else. I run nothing but 93 Octane in the car so my first guess was maybe it was just cheap gas? But now i'm not so sure. I'm going to buy some seafoam today to run in it and this time i'm going straight to the shell station to fill up. I really hope this isn't my fuel pump going out b/c I don't have the money to get it fixed AND go to G11...if its my sender going out i'll be fine b/c I can just calculate when I need to fill up again. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

I really don't think it is your fuel pump. If the car is running strong ie.. no misses and no stumbling. Then most likely it is not your fuel pump. It sounds to me like the sender has gone bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skifast87
I really don't think it is your fuel pump. If the car is running strong ie.. no misses and no stumbling. Then most likely it is not your fuel pump. It sounds to me like the sender has gone bad.
I am right when I say the car is ok to drive if the sender goes bad right? That just means my gauge isn't working. If i'm wrong please correct me...
...and yea, it still runs strong, no misses or stumbling. I got on it a few times yesterday just to see if it would wanna sputter or somethin and everything seemed fine.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

guess i'm right...
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

If the sender is bad, it won't hurt nothing to keep driving like that. The problem could also be bad ground wiring going to the sender, or a flakey connector - maybe there is some corrosion in one of the connectors
Old 05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

so I put the can of seafoam in yesterday and filled up with Chevron 93 Octane(its what I normally get)...the car ran a LOT smoother. Seafoam is some GREAT stuff, kinda makes me wanna seafoam the engine now lol...but the gauge is still messed up...lol oh well, as long as it goes, I can calculate my fuel until I get the sender fixed. I'm assuming thats my problem now. Apreciate the help guys
Old 05-18-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

no problem.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

souds like a sender or possibly a gauge problem or possibly a problem in the wire

i had a car at work that was stuck on full lol took me forever to figure out that the gas tank had a dent in it pushing up on the float arm man i felt like a jack ***
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend had a similar issue with his Dodge Ram. He drove it like that for a long time until he finally took it to the dealer, they told him it was the battery! They put a new one in and it's been fine ever since. Might be worth checking out.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

well now its gone down to about a quarter of a tank, so its working somewhat, but whenever the car is in drive (even if i'm just sitting there stopped), it goes up about a quarter of a tank to a quarter and a half of a tank than what I actually have. I know before this started happening, my gas gauge would always go up a lil bit when I was actually pressing the gas, but that was normal. But to go up at least a quarter to a quarter and a half while just sitting still is just confusing the crap out of me.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '00_Z
My friend had a similar issue with his Dodge Ram. He drove it like that for a long time until he finally took it to the dealer, they told him it was the battery! They put a new one in and it's been fine ever since. Might be worth checking out.

I'll try that. Its always worth a shot I guess...
Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

pretty sure it couldnt be a battery

the gauge reads resistance that the sender sends the resistance is created by the float arm as it moves up the less resistance is sent to the gauge moving it up

it kinda works like a dimmer switch when you turn it one way the lights dim (more resitance less current equals no so bright lights)

i would really look at the gauge first since it is easiest to get too but i think you might have a problem in the sending unit itself

need to find a repair manual giving you ohm specs for the gauge to see if it is good

let me know so i can help you if you need it
Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Teching In

y i say it cant be a battery is because the battery is only used for starting the vechicle

the alternator provides elctrical power for all circuits