Another tragic deer vs. f-body story

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another tragic deer vs. f-body story

Long story, might want to go grab a drink and the bag of chips.

If you want to skip the story and answer my questions, please skip long paragraph and see the 2 short paragraphs below.

So yesterday when I get home my 8 months pregnant better half tells me that the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee we just picked up from my boss just isn't quite like her Formula. She breaks down and tells me how having to "give up" her Formula is just going to tear her apart. So I console her and let her know that she can drive the Formula whenever she wants. She knows that she is being selfish but she just can't see herself driving the "mom" car. So we head out to her sister's house in the jeep to go and pickup her car. She gets into her car and I follow her in the jeep to head back home. She takes off at a pretty good clip and I end up loosing site of her around a bend in the road. The next thing I notice is a silver car sitting sideways in the middle of the road. So I slow down and glance up the road a bit and see my wife's car over in the ditch. Well I start to panic because I don't know what just happened. The silver car proceeds to turn around and go back towards my wife. As I get closer I see the deer dragging its front half across the road to the other ditch. I then see my wife standing next to her car with her hands on her face. All I could think about was her and the baby. I pull over, jump out and run over to her. She isn't crying or anything just breathing heavy and real shook up. After I determine that she is okay I venture over to the Formula and take a look-see. She was traveling 70mph and never saw the deer. So she hit the deer full-on at 70mph. She said she saw the deer go up and over her car. No broken windshield. The passenger side pop-up light is completely folded back on top of itself and there is no sign of any kind of mechanical device or glass from the light. The hood is crinkled, the front clip is bashed and the tire flat. I don't know if there is any suspension damage yet. The buck she hit was probably about 250 lbs or more, about the size of a full grown Great Dane. She is lucky it didn't do more damage. The cool thing about this whole ordeal was that once she saw the damage and how bad it was she realized that God had heard her selfish cries and the conversation we had about the Formula and He decided to let her know how much He loved her and just who exactly is in control of our lives. She told me she said a solid prayer to God right after it happened. Also, it just so happened that I decided not to switch the paid off Formula, just yet, to Liability only, earlier yesterday morning! God has plans for us all and we had better be willing to do as he commands us!

So in review - We get new jeep yesterday, wife realizes that she is about to be a mom - has mental breakdown about "losing" her Formula and damns the jeep. God steps in, says "no time for selfishness or love for materialistic things", and sacrifices one of his docile creatures to severely maim the possession that my wife so dearly loves.

Now what is the damage going to cost? Anybody know or wanna take a guess at how much a new front clip, new hood, new headlight assembly, paint and body work going to cost? The car is valued at $10,200 - $13,000. Anyone think it might be totaled?

If you have any questions about the story or want to know about the fate of the deer just post up and I let you know. This post is already too long for more details.

Thanks for your time and God bless you guys.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, im glad you wife was alright... who cares about the car, just take what insurance gives and move on...
Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad she was alright man.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if they total it take the hit and get it back cheap then find a good shop
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

glad shes allright post up some damage pics theres allot of insuance guys on the boards that might beable to give you an idea.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks fellas, she is fine. She is dreading going back to the car to get all of her belongings out. She doesn't want to see the damage again.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
glad shes allright post up some damage pics theres allot of insuance guys on the boards that might beable to give you an idea.
She is on her way over there right now to video the damage. I really had to talk her into doing it. I feel so bad for her.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Thank goodness she's alright. Is this the first child for you all? If so you can make it with the sport car. We did with 2 Maros. We only recently got the trailblazer. It's not that bad.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:49 AM
SSU Moderator

I glad your wif is alright....that could have been WAAAY worse. Now, that said, wreck or not, she'll be glad you bought something with a real back seat and 4 doors when that kid comes and she tries to put a carseat into an F-Body. Been there, done that.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad to hear tuna and the baby are alright. the man upstairs works in mysterious ways!

might be a dumb question but did the airbags deploy? if so, im not positive but i think thats already 1500 or so right there in addition to if there is any frame damage or not. i doubt itll be totalled but guess you will find out.

the important thing is that the two of them are alright. at least you have another vehicle now to drive around too. give us a call if yall have a shower or need help or something for the newborn, im sure mom would love to help yall out!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

I'm glad your wife and the unborn child is alright. I was dreading the end of the story hoping that something hadn't happened to the baby. My wife and I had a similar experience when she was 3 months pregnant-an accident. We were all ok. I sold her Honda Civic and bought her a big ugly SUV for the same reason-safety.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camracingah
Thank goodness she's alright. Is this the first child for you all? If so you can make it with the sport car. We did with 2 Maros. We only recently got the trailblazer. It's not that bad.
Yeah this is our first go around with a little one. We decided along time ago that we would keep both f-bodies and just tote the kid around in them. But this deal came up with the cherokee that we just couldn't pass up. I still don't know why she feels she can't drive her Formula anymore??? I guess if we have the cherokee she feels obligated to drive that instead.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
glad to hear tuna and the baby are alright. the man upstairs works in mysterious ways!

might be a dumb question but did the airbags deploy? if so, im not positive but i think thats already 1500 or so right there in addition to if there is any frame damage or not. i doubt itll be totalled but guess you will find out.

the important thing is that the two of them are alright. at least you have another vehicle now to drive around too. give us a call if yall have a shower or need help or something for the newborn, im sure mom would love to help yall out!
Hey Karl,

The airbags did not deploy. I was wondering the same thing when it happened. Sarah said that it didn't even feel like she hit anything. Her seatbelt didn't even tighten up! Thanks for offering to help out with the kid, how are your diaper changing skills?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thankfully your wife and the baby are fine. I can hardly call hitting a deer in the road a message from God though. More like a crappy day. People arent allowed to enjoy materialistic things? Didnt know that was abject to religious thinking.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im glad your wife and child are alright. My friend hit a deer in his Z. Took out his windshield and hood. There was still fur in he windshield when he got home. I will ask him how much it ended up being to fix. Anyway did you go and finish the deer off. Sounds like it was a nice little buck. Hang that thing on the wall or something./
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

glad shes alright.november my fiance hit a deer in her 97 anniversary ss and wrapped a tree. 2 weeks in the hospital, 5 pins in her leg, collapsed lung,broke vertebre,internal bleeding,and thank god she lived. 90% recovered i guess.dont ask me how she lived cause we dont know.
Attached Thumbnails Another tragic deer vs. f-body story-car1.jpg  
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neverenuff
glad shes alright.november my fiance hit a deer in her 97 anniversary ss and wrapped a tree. 2 weeks in the hospital, 5 pins in her leg, collapsed lung,broke vertebre,internal bleeding,and thank god she lived. 90% recovered i guess.dont ask me how she lived cause we dont know.
DAMN!!! That has to be the worst wrecked F-body pic that I've ever seen!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

time to install shotguns on sides of car? man im so glad to hear your wife and baby are alright, cars are replaceable, people arent
Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anLS1x2
Hey Karl,

The airbags did not deploy. I was wondering the same thing when it happened. Sarah said that it didn't even feel like she hit anything. Her seatbelt didn't even tighten up! Thanks for offering to help out with the kid, how are your diaper changing skills?
glad to hear yall are ok. sounds like a job for richey collision as far as the car goes.

neverenuf= i am amazed how she lived
Old 05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS198Z28
glad to hear yall are ok. sounds like a job for richey collision as far as the car goes.

neverenuf= i am amazed how she lived
no seatbelt and ended up in the backseat somehow. the steering wheel is in the passenger seat. its crazy