Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Putting it to the ground: A Spec clutch review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting it to the ground: A Spec clutch review

I just went through an interesting learning experience and wanted to share it with this wonderful board.

When I finished my current setup I put down 700rwhp at 10# of boost. I have since gone to 12# but have no new numbers as of yet.

I did however include a Spec 5 clutch in the pile of mods as I was told it was a "streetable" clutch. I ran around on the Spec 5 for 4,000 miles and was quite impressed by it's manners. Just like all high hp handling clutches it has a quick engagement, but it still retained good petal feel which was great.

Recently though the Spec 5 started slipping during normal driving. If I were in 5th gear and gave it some gas the rpms would rev up and the car wouldn't accelerate much. I have the clutch pulled and sure enough I wore off .030 of the disk in 4,000 miles. Spec says .030 of the clutch is the life of the clutch for their 5 series. I never ran the car on tires stickier than my DRs and never on the track so imagine my surprise. I'm sure the wear was accelerated once it started slipping a little, but wow.

After speaking with Spec and the shop that installed it they felt terrible that there was this giant miscommunication about the use of the 5. Spec made me a great deal on a 3+ twin disk setup to make things right. This twin disk is the 4th Spec clutch I have purchased and after this experience I will be a Spec fan for life.

The twin disk is for "daily driving" and they guaranteed that I won't kill it in 4,000 miles. After driving it I'm still impressed that the petal feel is so smooth and easy, but damn it has a quick engagement! So far I love it and recommend it to anyone running a high hp car that wants to retain drive ability.

I will not recommend anything other than a Spec 3+ as far as their single disk lineup goes for daily driving however.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Spec made me a great deal on a 3+ twin disk setup to make things right.
What is a 3+ twin disk? The 3+ is a single disk. And yeah its a good clutch, I have one.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been wanting to purchase a spec3+ but my buddy is too lazy to sell it to me
Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went through an interesting learning experience and wanted to share it with this wonderful board.

I did however include a Spec 5 clutch in the pile of mods as I was told it was a "streetable" clutch. I ran around on the Spec 5 for 4,000 miles and was quite impressed by it's manners.
Recently though the Spec 5 started slipping during normal driving. If I were in 5th gear and gave it some gas the rpms would rev up and the car wouldn't accelerate much. I have the clutch pulled and sure enough I wore off .030 of the disk in 4,000 miles. Spec says .030 of the clutch is the life of the clutch for their 5 series.
After speaking with Spec and the shop that installed it they felt terrible that there was this giant miscommunication about the use of the 5. Spec made me a great deal on a 3+ twin disk setup to make things right. This twin disk is the 4th Spec clutch I have purchased and after this experience I will be a Spec fan for life.
I will not recommend anything other than a Spec 3+ as far as their single disk lineup goes for daily driving however.

Prior to starting a used, low mileage Spec 3 install, I called spec to find out how much wear material the clutch (friction plate) had & was told to consider replacing the clutch (friction plate) @.015" wear. That's not to say that there isn't .030" in a spec 3 or a spec 3+, I'd just be surprised to hear that there's anymore life in a spec 3 or a 3+ after .030", as well as the spec 5, based on what Spec said to me.

Did you have hydraulic or engagement problems that led to the .030" wear in 4k miles on your spec 5 or is the lifespan of a Spec 5 around 4k miles? Did spec offer any information on the wear material differences between a spec 3+ compared to the Spec 5?

I'm really curious 'cuz I don't want to be replacing clutches every season. The install will be done next week & I'm concerned about the Spec 3 lifespan, based on this thread & several other threads related to Spec 3 & 3+ clutches. Granted, race specific clutches generally have a short life span & a very little wear tolerance. However, Spec clutches (the Spec 3 series anyway) are advertized as a street/strip clutch, which to me means a relatively good life span.

Glad to hear that Spec took care of you.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

The amount level of wear for each clutch unit should be the same...because the geometry for each stage of clutch for any given application is the same. It is generally accepted that a disc needs to be replaced when it reaches more then .015-.020 wear. That being said, different material will have greater or lesser tendency to wear in street driven applications. Stage 5 clutch kits can be driven on the street but due to the fact that Sintered Iron (the disc material used in stage 5) is very soft their life will be less than that of a stage 3+ or 3.

No matter what clutch you have wear is related to the amount of slippage you induce with your driving style. Ultimately it is best to pick a clutch that provides a torque capacity in line with your planned output...realizing that in most instances there are multiple options for you to choose.

Drew, I am glad that we were able to assist you and that you were happy with the result. Keep me posted on your experiences and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Drew, I am glad that we were able to assist you and that you were happy with the result. Keep me posted on your experiences and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
You know my car is capable of putting your clutches to the test!

For everyone:
It's good to note the 3+ is made of a different material than the 5 and is designed to take more slippage. I abused my 3+ with 600rwhp and it took every bit of it and came back for more. The 5 didn't fit my daily driving needs as stop and go on the freeway with 115deg temps outside were brutal on it. Once it started slipping it wore extremely fast due to my power output, a slippery slope effect per say.

The 3+ twin disk is exactly that, two 3+ disks instead of one. It's in their twin disk lineup and rated to 1500ftlbs I believe.

This is my 4th Spec clutch and I will always go with them in the future. I just need to remember to state exactly what I will do to it so they can match me with the right clutch. The only error was communication, but I was well taken care of.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

The 3+ twin disk is exactly that, two 3+ disks instead of one. It's in their twin disk lineup and rated to 1500ftlbs I believe.
Ahh, I see.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The amount level of wear for each clutch unit should be the same...because the geometry for each stage of clutch for any given application is the same. It is generally accepted that a disc needs to be replaced when it reaches more then .015-.020 wear. That being said, different material will have greater or lesser tendency to wear in street driven applications. Stage 5 clutch kits can be driven on the street but due to the fact that Sintered Iron (the disc material used in stage 5) is very soft their life will be less than that of a stage 3+ or 3.

Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: Putting it to the ground: A Spec clutch review