Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pilot bearing too loose in crank, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pilot bearing too loose in crank, ideas?

I posted this in manual transmissions forum also.

I am putting a pilot roller bearing inside of a eagle crank and it doesnt press in tightly, you can EASILY slide the pilot in and out of teh crank....its almost like they machined the crank exactly the size of the pilot bearing O.D. there is no major slop, but i dont like the idea it is that loose. I tried several bearings, and even a bushing. Any ideas on what to do now? its a brand new motor and it seems the only way is to weld and grind the inside of the crank, or something similar to that. I have yet to find a sleeve to go around the PB to make it tighter. Think locktite may hold it in place? maybe put in the bearnig and put a very small tack weld on teh outside to hold it in place? thanks for any suggestions
Old 05-17-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to remember that there was a number of cranks that had this issue, contact Eagle I believe they have a correction.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what the "fix" consists of?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great, now I'M freaked out! I have a new stroker arriving tomorrow with an Eagle crank!!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

did some looking on this board and others. there was a problem with the oil plug in teh center of the crank that caused oil leaks, and with the hole the PB goes into being bored too large. Seems that if theres already a pilot bearing in the crank from Eagle, it has been fixed, if not id definately check into it. being a vette owner also, you and i would be severely pissed to pull the whole rear out again to replace a oiled down clutch ruined by this problem.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:40 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Same sorry Eagle sh@%. I had this issue back in 2004. Their solution is a knurled pilot bearing. Not sure if there is a freeze plug fix. Clutches can get expensive.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lifted99GMC
being a vette owner also, you and i would be severely pissed to pull the whole rear out again to replace a oiled down clutch ruined by this problem.

Haha, yeah mine's apart in my garage right now. The Camaro guys have no idea how easy they have it

Quick Reply: pilot bearing too loose in crank, ideas?