Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best way to Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best way to Detail?

What are the steps to detailing my car I usually just wax it with NXT once a year, but it needs to be done really good to bring the black back out what would be my first step and so on and is Meguires good to use?Thank guys
Old 05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once a year!? No wax or polish will stand up to that unless the car is garaged and never driven in the rain. You need to protect the paint with polish at max every 3 months or every month if you're using a carnuba wax and the car sees any kind of regular use.

Meguiars makes a 3 Step System that is easy to work with for novices or you can go with something like a Porter Cable and kit from one of many suppliers (Tropicare was offering one recently that I picked up that worked very well).
Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Call Tropicare and get a Porter Cable polisher
Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

how involved do you want to get?

you looking for advice on the simplest process, or the process that will best protect and show off your car ?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your keeping it real basic I'd use Meguires gold class on a black car instead of NXT. When NXT came out I did half the hood of my GF's black Boxster in NXT and half in Gold Class and there was no comparison. NXT is easier to remove and doesn't have the white residue but everybody there agreed Gold Class looks way better on black.

If you still have any swirl marks and don't want to labor through another apply and removal of the Gold class throw a coat or 2 of eagle one nano wax on top. That goes on and off real easy, virtually eliminates all swirl marks, and leaves no white residue.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spink
If your keeping it real basic I'd use Meguires gold class on a black car instead of NXT. When NXT came out I did half the hood of my GF's black Boxster in NXT and half in Gold Class and there was no comparison. NXT is easier to remove and doesn't have the white residue but everybody there agreed Gold Class looks way better on black.

If you still have any swirl marks and don't want to labor through another apply and removal of the Gold class throw a coat or 2 of eagle one nano wax on top. That goes on and off real easy, virtually eliminates all swirl marks, and leaves no white residue.
Gold Class does look better .. but it has the worst durability of any of the Meg's waxes.

Use NXT, then top it with #26, if you want to stay with Meg's stuff.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gipraw
Gold Class does look better .. but it has the worst durability of any of the Meg's waxes.

Use NXT, then top it with #26, if you want to stay with Meg's stuff.
I concur with the call-out on GC wax. Looks great, but you'll be LUCKY if it lasts past the week.

Gipraw, you need to help me out with the detailing Wiki I was trying to make earlier.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02BEAST
What are the steps to detailing my car I usually just wax it with NXT once a year, but it needs to be done really good to bring the black back out what would be my first step and so on and is Meguires good to use?Thank guys
Feel free to contact us and we'll work with you to determine a program based upon your desired maintenance level.

Reach us at steve@tropi-care.com or call toll-free at (866)341-0050.

Quick Reply: Best way to Detail?