Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rubber T/A bushing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber T/A bushing

I went to 5 or 6 different parts stores in town looking for a new torque arm bushing and only 1 had one in stock but it is a poly unit. Everything else online I've come across so far is also prothane poly and the dealer only sells the clamshell bracket/bushing combination. Anyone knows who sells a one piece rubber (or whatever the factory unit is made of) torque arm bushing?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is that the factory piece is a two-piece unit that is riveted into each side of the clamshell (half into one side, half into the other)...hence why the dealership only sells the clamshell/rubber as one piece. Nobody that I know of makes a rubber piece to replace it...only a polyurethane one piece.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have also looked for such an item.. never found one. Got a place that quoted me about 1,000 bucks to make one, or a thousand for me.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Roadhouse! I have a stock rubber Bushing, I removed at about 9K, I just cut off the rivits, I was going to trash, if you will pay for shipping I will sent it to you. Just need to get some small screws to attach it back to the stock clam shell.
Gary
Old 05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

I sent you a PM Gary.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

why not just get a poly bushing? i just installed the poly one that came with my UMI torque arm, and it is not any noisier than the stock one was....and i don't even have any exhaust mods yet, it's all stock. so far the only thing i've installed aftermarket that has introduced any new noise is the Pro 5.0 shifter, and that's only because i cut the stock rubber boot that goes around the shifter.

if you get the poly unit, just be sure to grease it up real good with some white lithium grease, and you should not have any additional noise....plus, it won't allow as much vertical movement, which is a good thing. and you never have to worry about extra bolts/rivets when replacing it again the next time, which is also a good thing

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 05-19-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
why not just get a poly bushing? i just installed the poly one that came with my UMI torque arm, and it is not any noisier than the stock one was....and i don't even have any exhaust mods yet, it's all stock. so far the only thing i've installed aftermarket that has introduced any new noise is the Pro 5.0 shifter, and that's only because i cut the stock rubber boot that goes around the shifter.

if you get the poly unit, just be sure to grease it up real good with some white lithium grease, and you should not have any additional noise....plus, it won't allow as much vertical movement, which is a good thing. and you never have to worry about extra bolts/rivets when replacing it again the next time, which is also a good thing
I agree 100% with you, but some people just don't like aftermarket stuff, especially when it comes to suspension components.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Well, it's not that I don't like the aftermarket I was just ignorant that a rubber replacement isn't being produced. I had read were the poly bushings had caused or revealed drivetrain vibrations and was shooting to avoid that.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Well, it's not that I don't like the aftermarket I was just ignorant that a rubber replacement isn't being produced. I had read were the poly bushings had caused or revealed drivetrain vibrations and was shooting to avoid that.
It wouldn't cause the vibrations, but it would certainly reveal them. If that's important to you, then you did the right thing, although mine didn't have that effect on my car.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
It wouldn't cause the vibrations, but it would certainly reveal them. If that's important to you, then you did the right thing, although mine didn't have that effect on my car.

like Meents says, the bushings themselves do not cause the vibration to be there, they will only make the vibrations that are already there more noticeable....this is a good thing.

if you know vibrations are there, you know they need to be fixed. vibrations = bad (unless we're talking about vibrations from a huge-*** cam, but that's another discussion entirely).

the point is, don't just stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not there, because over time, those vibrations can cause damage....parts will get weaker from the stress, and bolts can start to loosen. these are bad things that you don't want to happen in a high performance vehicle.

replace the stock stuff with the better, longer-lasting bushings, and if there's some vibration, find the source and fix it. poly bushings by themselves will generally only introduce new noises when they are not lubed properly (squeaks), and in some cases, there will be a bit more noise transmission from the road, but i don't think it will be enough to cause me to shy away from using them. the one exception for some people would be the tranny mount, but in pretty much any other application, poly is going to be the better choice, and longer-lasting than rubber.

Quick Reply: Rubber T/A bushing