Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bout to start a 5.3 project

Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 in my 1987 Z28

Ok guys... I really need your help here. I'm new to this site and to ls1's... About a year ago I converted my 87 camaro from carb to tpi... Now I'm about to do a ls1 swap. First off I found the donor vehicle.. You guys won't believe this but I found a 99 silverado z71 with a 5.3 and 4-wheel drive. The truck was rolled over. The best part about it is the guy is letting me get the whole truck for $800 dollars. It only has 80,000 miles. I need to know everything to put the engine in my camaro. I know i need another trans since it is 4 wheel drive. Can somebody send me wiring diagrams and tell me anything else I need to know. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by 1987earthquake; 07-19-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. You have come to the right place. Start by doing a search. There is a few third gen guys who have done the swap.all the best and congrats on the score
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I'm not trying to be rude, but it's all over the forum. Also, Thirdgen.org. They have a specific section for LSX-based engine swaps. As far as hardware is concerned you'll need motor mounts, trans-crossmember, and maybe a new K-member if your budget allows. Try Hawksthirdgenparts.com and fbodymotorsports.com. For wiring, you're better off starting with a new one from a company like Painless and Hawks has one too. It's a little pricey but you'll save yourself headaches and thoughts of suicide.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Launching!

I've been on tirdgen.org for a year. they don't tell a lot of details on the ls swap. they directed me to this site. I find a lot on doing the ls1 swap and all but I can't find hardly anything on wiring for the 5.3. The truck is a 1999 extended cab silverado z71. I know how to put the engine and trans in I just need to know the wiring details on the 5.3. I probably should have been more specific in my first post. I've been searchin a good bit on here but no luck on the 5.3 in third gen. I have come across numerous ls1 swaps in third gens but I haven't been able to find the wiring for the 5.3. I'm an electrical engineer so wiring is nothing. I just need the pin outs on the harness.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Unless I'm mistaken, the wiring for the 5.3 should be nearly identical to any other LSx engine
Old 05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Launching!

I've seen some have different pins. Not to mention the pcm and the fuse box is different?? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, there is plenty of info over on thirdgen.org as well as this site. The 5.3 wiring is very very similar to the LS1 set up. In fact, Im pretty sure if you swap to an LSx intake, you can even use an LSx wiring harness. Anyway...since you have the donor vehicle, you are plenty ahead of the game because you will be able to see how it all comes apart.

Do some more searchin and build a notebook from the info. Print out everything you find as soon as you find it. I remember finding exactly what i needed, then trying to find it later and couldnt... You are more or less just going to pull it otu of the truck and put it into your car. Minus stuff you dont need. If you use the fuse blocks from the truck, its pretty close to plug and play.

I will tell you this though. in my opinion, if you can swap in a TPI motor, you can do an LSx based more no problem. The wiring is so much more simple. Atleast in my opinion... The LS based motor is almost completely self contained as far as wiring goes. The only things that need to go inside are wires for the gauges basically.

Good luck, and if you get some more specific questions lined up, ask away!

Justin

P.S... Do you happen to know if the truck ended up sitting upside down?? Or did it do a barrel roll or two and land on its wheels... If it was upside down or on its side, you might want to go over the internals and make sure oil isnt sitting on top of the pistions or in the intake. But Im sure you knew that....

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 05-18-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you check the FAQ sticky for wiring information? Specifically post 13? There should be some truck 5.3L wiring info in there. Also if you let me know what e-mail address you want it sent to I can send you some 2001 wiring diagrams.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the pinout of the large black connector on the main engine harness that plugs into the 5.3's underhood fuse block. This says for 2000 but 99 will be same.

http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm
Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Are you willing to sell the 4X4 transmission, transfer case and drive shafts?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Launching!

G Body. Thanks my email is evb7@msstate.edu. TJ Vette I am going to sell the transmission transfer case and driveshaft. Shoot me a reasonable offer and I'll see what we can work out. Not sure of the weight if you want it shipped. I live in monticello, MS 39654. If you are close enough you can pick it up. I would be willing to drive an hour out to bring it.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Got the engine out and the wiring harness started on. I need to find some vette accessories and a f-body oil pan. I think I'm going to stick with the truck intake for now. I want to see what kind of potential it has. I already have camaro manifolds installed. I also need to get a dipstick and tube from a f-body. I am still in the market for a trans as well. I'm looking for a 4L60E or 4L80E. I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.

Questions:
1. Do I need to cut/modify the a/c bracket to fit on the block with the s&p mount adaptor plates?

2. Does anyone have some vette accessories they would like to sell?

3. Do the truck, corvette and f-body all use the same a/c compressor, alt, p/s pump, and tensioners?

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by 1987earthquake; 06-19-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

I'd reccomend the 4l80e. They're just as plentiful as the 4l60e, can take more abuse and aren't that much more expensive depending on mileage. The truck intake should be just fine, it's only restricting in the upper RPM range and you'll never notice the difference on the street.
As far as accessories are concerned, I'm pretty sure you'll have to use the Fbody's to clear the thirdgen's hood. I have a third gen firebird but I haven't gotten that far along in the swap yet to give you anymore detail other than what i've read. I'm going to use 4th gen Fbody accessories just to be safe. Out of curiosity, why do you want vette accessories?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Launching!

vette accessories has the alt on top and power steering on bottom. also the a/c compressor seems to be shorter so it is possible I might not have to cut the k-member to make it fit. I guess I'm going with the 4l80e then.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 PM

The truck, vette, and f-body all use different PS pumps, alternators, crank pulleys, and the truck water pump is also different than the vett/f-bod one. The A/C compressor is also different, there was a project car in hot rod magazine where they used a f-body comp on vette brackets, but they had to make a spacer for one bolt and change the clutch/pulley to a vette one to keep the belt aligned.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Launching!

I got a chance to set the motor in the car this past saturday. It looked so good. I did find out that my truck intake was too tall for the stock hood tho... Guess that means I'm searching for a cowl hood now. I want to keep the truck intake cause of the torque being better.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Well I changed my mind about the corvette accessories. I am now going to go with a S&P wide setup. This kit will relocate the a/c compressor to the top on the passenger side and relocate the alternator lower and wider. With this setup, nothing has to be cut or modified on the body. Also with this setup I can use either alternator I want. You also use a Sanden a/c compressor which only cost 218.95 compared to paying for a stock compressor which cost $550 plus on the camaro/firebird and $750 plus on the vette. To do this swap with S&P brackets here's the list Mark gave me:
5.3 polished wide style alt/air brackets $306.95
5.3 polished wide style idler kit $384.95
5.3 polished type III p/s setup $291.95
polished 16mm to A/N 6 $ 17.49
polished Alum. p/s reservoir w/bracket $130.95
Sanden Compressor 134-A $218.95
Total $1351.24

I think I am going to try to use a camaro power steering pump and space it out. This will save me about $440.39. I am also going to wait on the compressor which will save me an additional $218.95. Brings me to a total of $691.90. I know it is higher than just using some used car acc. but this will keep me from cutting my k-member and having to buy a tubular. not to mention everything will be polished. If anyone has a truck motor I suggest you look into doing this before you buy car acc. unless of course you don't want a/c anyways. If anyone has a p/s pump and reservoir with brackets laying around let me know how much you want for it.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Launching!

This weekend I installed a Lunati 220/200 and 0.050 cam with I think .551 lift. Should wake it up a little. Along with the cam I installed some taller springs. Only thing left there is to get a set of pushrods. I also found a car pan and pickup tube to install. I got the pan and tube cleaned up good and found out the truck windage tray won't work with the car pan. It doesn't let the front of the pan sit all the way down. I found me a 3" cowl hood to clear the truck intake. I also found out that s&p are working on an engine cover for the truck intake. It looks awesome.
Attached Thumbnails Bout to start a 5.3 project-engine-cover.jpg  
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Set my motor in this weekend. I started wiring everything up. Got my fuse box installed on the opposite side of the battery. Looks factory even though I had to chop on the box.. Got rid of all the wires in the car I didn't need as well as in the truck harness. Got a few questions about some wires. Here they are.

Blue connector by fusebox
-yellow/black pin E VSS Do I need this

Black connector by fusebox
-Brn/wht pin G check engine lamp does this just run to gnd on the engine light
-Grn/Wht pin D vss out do i need this
-PPL pin E brake pedal tcc does this just run to the brake pedal switch
-Tan/wht pin J oil pressure do i need this if I'm using my stock sending unit

where does ign switch connect on fuse box
starter wire from inside car? where to connect
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 PM

C1 connector (GM designation) (light grey color) contains the starter solenoid wire, position C10, purple with white trace. Connect this to the wire that went to your old starter solenoid. Also, A9, pink, is switched ignition return from the ignition switch. Connect this to the circuit that used to power the ignition coil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bout to start a 5.3 project