General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What to check for after WOT runs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to check for after WOT runs?

I was able to take my car up to about 155 before letting off on some country road a few times and ever since something doesn't feel right about the car. No SES lights, everything in the motor bay seems to be fine, no leaks or loose bolts, everything seems to be just as well as before but I'm sensing a slight lag on acceleration now. I checked my oil and was about a few milimeters away from the "add oil" line on the dipstick so I put about half a quart in. It is about time to change it anyways (4000 miles)

My concern is to what kind of maintanence should be performed on the car after pushing my setup to the limit like that. Will high rpms cause the O2s to burn out faster? Spark plugs to stop sparking? Anything in the motor that will let go and cause an air leak? i think i'm just looking for things to go wrong after having a little fun with the car. i'm always hearing from my buddies "don't worry you're stuff is built to handle it" but i'm always a believer in what can wrong will go wrong.

what do you guys usually check for after going wot at the track or mile long runs?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might have burned a bit of oil through the pcv system and also got some of it in the TB, clean it with some carb cleaner.....check your plugs...do you have iridiums or coppers?....copper plugs burn off in just a few wot runs....
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

that makes sense because i checked my oil after the runs and it was noticeably low.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kaos_
that makes sense because i checked my oil after the runs and it was noticeably low.

:doh:

you're supposed to check your oil BEFORE beating on the car.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

i check it daily regardless, i'm always sure to keep it in the "operating range". i blew my first motor out of ignorance and am not about to do it again!

going to change out the spark plugs and wires today and change the oil.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

haha your avatar is great. LS1 in the ford badge.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

which spark plugs and wires are recommended then? i'm using msd wires and ngk plugs right now.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

NGK plugs and stock wires.

unless you want the MSD/tailor/whatever bling.

the wire is 3" long and there is an entire coil lighting off just one cyl... there really isnt a reason to 'upgrade' wires on these cars.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

i run ac delco iridiums....cheaper then the ngk's and are a better STOCK no boost plug....i really wish i had uploaded my pics when i changed them

you couldnt tell the difference between my old iridium plug which went through 3 MOTORs and 30k miles.....compared to the brand new plug.....ive beat on the car many times, i truly believe they can last 90k miles....their pre-gapped to....