Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e swap underway, Final questions-those who did it chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L80e swap underway, Final questions-those who did it chime in!

I've got my parts gathering for my 4L80e swap almost complete.
Here's what I got:
4L80e w/ vaccuum modulated valve bodies
4L80e dust cover
TH400 yoke used with this exact transmission in another LSx vehicle
Vigilante stall
The stall converter is going to be gone through and restalled by Precision.
The trans is going to be taken apart and checked by a local trans builder-he build's Ed Wright's trannys so it's going to be as good as it can get.

I still need:
Dipstick
Speartech harness
Crossmember
Flexplate
Flywheel

Here's my questions:
Do I REALLY need to get a different flexplate or flywheel or will my current ones work? If I need different ones, what brand do you suggest?
The harness and dipstick are a definate.
I will eventually get the TCI standalone computer for fine tuning, but that's not happening right now due to cost issues.

My main question is this:
Does it matter which crossmember I go with? Both BMR and Yank have one, and Yank's is less money. I was wondering if you all thought this would mean a lack of quality or would I just be paying for the BMR name?

I am really wanting to keep my stock torque arm for now to cut costs and get this running ASAP, all I will need to do is get some OEM torque arm bushings for my stock tq. arm to work with the new crossmember, correct?

What else guys? Thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Do I REALLY need to get a different flexplate or flywheel or will my current ones work? If I need different ones, what brand do you suggest?
I have never understood the fascination of running a stock flexplate with a big motor putting down way more power than a stock motor. People have cracked the stock flexplates with stock cars. Get a TCI SFI approved flexplate, save yourself the aggrevation of pulling and replacing the stock flexplate, along with the possibility of destroying the starter, bellhousing, torque converter and possibly ripping a hole through the rear cover to save money. My personal experience with a stock motor:

Old 05-19-2007, 08:38 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The torque arm will not bolt to a 4l80e. You will need a cross-member.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

the stock PCM can control the 4L80E
ref this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/458718-4l80e-swap-info.html
Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBake
Is that the Stock LS1 Flexplate..looks like there is nothin to it..

I got a complete Truck Shorblock that I am building my Engine out of, and I was goin to use the Flexplate from that Engine.. it looks alot meatier than that one..

Last edited by the_merv; 05-19-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I might have been unclear about my torque arm question. I AM going to get an aftermarket crossmember from BMR or Yank (help me decide!), however, on the BMR website it says that the crossmember they have is set up for using the BMR torque arm, yet, you can use a different torque arm if you use the correct bushings for the desired torque arm. So, if I get a BMR or a Yank crossmember for the 4L80e, will I be able to use my stock torque arm if I use OEM torque arm bushings?

So, I am getting the flexplate from TCI.

-What crossmember do you all suggest-More bucks for BMR, or less bucks for Yanks?

-I JUST installed 4L60e poly trans mounts with my motor install. They have literally 200 miles on them. Will this work with the 4L80e or will I need different mounts? Should I go with poly mounts or OEM?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Is that the Stock LS1 Flexplate..looks like there is nothin to it..

I got a complete Truck Shorblock that I am building my Engine out of, and I was goin to use the Flexplate from that Engine.. it looks alot meatier than that one..
Yes, that is a stock LS1 flexplate, but either way it was designed to work within the parameters of a stock motor and not much more. Although the flexplate you have is a little stronger it is still not designed beyond the capability of its application. I am also sure that no one would be thinking that a truck flexplate would be spinning much past 6000 rpms while exceeding its torque rating. The costs savings is minimal of an SFI approved flexplate when compared to the destruction and repair of several componenets when that stock flexplate lets go.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Should I just call TCI and discuss my application with them and see what they reccommend? Also, any opinions on the Yank vs. BMR crossmember? Finally, any input on my being able to use the stock torque arm if I get new bushings with the crossmember for the stock torque arm, even if only temporary?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Second Club

Just go with whichever one is cheaper. i was gonna go with the yank just because i am also gonna get the converter from them. both are good pieces, so its up to you
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

I second the get an SFI flexplate. Mine for the LT1 cost 70 bucks.
Remember also your feet are very close to this area.
Don't wanna be gimping around on a wooden leg for the rest of your life wishin you woulda spent the extra 100 bucks on good flexplate.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sorry, I might have been unclear about my torque arm question. I AM going to get an aftermarket crossmember from BMR or Yank (help me decide!), however, on the BMR website it says that the crossmember they have is set up for using the BMR torque arm, yet, you can use a different torque arm if you use the correct bushings for the desired torque arm. So, if I get a BMR or a Yank crossmember for the 4L80e, will I be able to use my stock torque arm if I use OEM torque arm bushings?

So, I am getting the flexplate from TCI.

-What crossmember do you all suggest-More bucks for BMR, or less bucks for Yanks?

-I JUST installed 4L60e poly trans mounts with my motor install. They have literally 200 miles on them. Will this work with the 4L80e or will I need different mounts? Should I go with poly mounts or OEM?

If you use our crossmember and a poy bushing for the stock style torque arm the stock arm will work fine. An additional feature our crossmembers have are the adjustment holes for the torque arm allowing you to move it up and down. If you have any other questions regarding our product line please feel free to ask

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Where are you guys getting this SFI Flexplate.. do you have a link?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Where are you guys getting this SFI Flexplate.. do you have a link?
Thunder Racing has them, they are on the sponsors list to the right.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Just use a body-mounted torque arm, and fab your own crossmember.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

TCI also has flexplates. I'm not good at fabbing things up and I don't want this to look like a backyard experiment...BMR's crossmember looks 100x nicer than any POS I'd fab up.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well I just got me a TCI SFI approved flexplate from SDPC. It is part number 399753 from TCI, it says on SDPCs website that it will NOT work with 4L80e trans, but I have a 4L80e/LSx conversion converter and was told that this stall should bolt on to any LSx flexplate. Opinions on this one? I didn't feel like spending $300+ for another one, ie Fidanza.
I've also decided to go with the Yank crossmember, it is about $60 cheaper and every penny counts as I squeeze together all my cash to get this thing running again.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Well I just got me a TCI SFI approved flexplate from SDPC. It is part number 399753 from TCI, it says on SDPCs website that it will NOT work with 4L80e trans, but I have a 4L80e/LSx conversion converter and was told that this stall should bolt on to any LSx flexplate. Opinions on this one? I didn't feel like spending $300+ for another one, ie Fidanza.
I've also decided to go with the Yank crossmember, it is about $60 cheaper and every penny counts as I squeeze together all my cash to get this thing running again.
Yes, you will be fine with that flexplate. I run a TH400 with an LSX style converter using the same flexplate.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:25 AM
9 Second Club

I run the BMR crossmember with the 4l80 and a bmr adjustable tq arm...i like it very much.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

What shifter should I run? Can I use the stock one or would I be better off going aftermarket. Which ones would you suggest? I don't want something to drag racey...I have a full carbon fiber interior on the way and want something that blends in well.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
9 Second Club

i used my stocker...drilled a hole in the bracket and mounted it to one of the tranny pan bolts