Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Shop in IL told me that an x-pipe is illegal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shop in IL told me that an x-pipe is illegal...

Yeah. So this all starts when I call Lovell's in DeKalb, (not sure if anyone is familiar with them), to finish a custom true-dual setup on my SS. I told him that I had already installed the longtubes and have an X-pipe and mufflers with turn-downs. He tells me he won't work on the car unless it has cats on it, which is understandable, so I order a pair of SLP's. (Thanks firebladews6!) Anyway, I take the car in today, he looks at it, at the parts, and tells me it's borderline. Borderline what, exactly? He says that the X-pipe is illegal, and that custom applications have to be done in stock form. Which he claims is a Y to a single cat and then back. I told him that there were 2 cats on the car stock, and that I have 2 now, but he claimed it was an EPA no-no and that it wouldn't be 50-state emission legal or CARB certified. Well no ****. Hardly anything aftermarket passes the CARB certification. Now where I live, I don't have emissions testing, and I certainly don't live in California... so I failed to see the problem. In fact, with the cats on there I didn't see how I wouldn't pass emissions anyway.

So yeah. I'm a little miffed about this right now. I know I can easily find a shop that will do this, but it's just upsetting to waste 2 weeks waiting for parts and an appointment just to be turned away. Especially since Automotion is this weekend and obviously my car is nowhere near ready.

Apologies for the epic post... just needed to vent.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, not legal. Most exhaust shops will not even touch the car. You need to go to speed shop. Anytime you remove the factory exhaust (cats and forward), you are illegal. Does not matter if you pass emissions or not. They just don't typically look.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run oval mufflers dumped off of the colectors, and I daily drive it. I would make the guy **** himself if he saw it
Old 05-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Teching In

So, speed shops just don't pay attention to this, or just make you *promise* that it's for off-road use only? I can understand if it's illegal, but c'mon, tell me sooner. It's amazing what I see some of the guys who work there driving though... They just don't trust me enough to rat them out or something.

Originally Posted by Matt D
I run oval mufflers dumped off of the colectors, and I daily drive it. I would make the guy **** himself if he saw it
Ha, that sounds classy.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

By law its illegal to move the cats from their stock location or remove them all together. With that being said most performance shops will do it without a problem. Contact one of the local sponsors on here and they can give you some more specifics. FLP specializes in doing true dual exhausts that go over the axle and out the back.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I actually called FLP about an hour ago for a quote. Probably have them take a look at it next week.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, just an exhaust shop will not do anything much other than a stock exhaust/replacement exhaust. You have to go to a speed shop. Is it illegal to run no cats, yes. Can you get around and away with it, Hell Yeah you can. Going with a catless x-pipe on the vette soon, with headers of course.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Ha Lovells, I think all they work on are pickup trucks with flowmasters.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Going 5mph over the speed limit is against the law too, but who here hasn't done that?

Ditch the cats, X-pipe it, and dump it. Screw the econo-box driving, tree hugging, dolphin kissing, daisy sniffing, enviro-homo-erotic-extremist butt pirates. Open that exhaust up and feel what the LS1 is all about.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:56 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I wonder what they would say if they saw my open down pipes 2' feet long. lol
Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EliteSS
Yeah. So this all starts when I call Lovell's in DeKalb, (not sure if anyone is familiar with them), to finish a custom true-dual setup on my SS. I told him that I had already installed the longtubes and have an X-pipe and mufflers with turn-downs. He tells me he won't work on the car unless it has cats on it, which is understandable, so I order a pair of SLP's. (Thanks firebladews6!) Anyway, I take the car in today, he looks at it, at the parts, and tells me it's borderline. Borderline what, exactly? He says that the X-pipe is illegal, and that custom applications have to be done in stock form. Which he claims is a Y to a single cat and then back. I told him that there were 2 cats on the car stock, and that I have 2 now, but he claimed it was an EPA no-no and that it wouldn't be 50-state emission legal or CARB certified. Well no ****. Hardly anything aftermarket passes the CARB certification. Now where I live, I don't have emissions testing, and I certainly don't live in California... so I failed to see the problem. In fact, with the cats on there I didn't see how I wouldn't pass emissions anyway.

So yeah. I'm a little miffed about this right now. I know I can easily find a shop that will do this, but it's just upsetting to waste 2 weeks waiting for parts and an appointment just to be turned away. Especially since Automotion is this weekend and obviously my car is nowhere near ready.

Apologies for the epic post... just needed to vent.

Hey man dont feel bad!. Im from Dekalb and im friends with Hutch, the guy that does exhaust there and he turned me down too.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Yeah, he seems like a decent enough guy. I was sent there by my buddy who had him fabricate something for his Cummins Ram. Granted he didn't install it at the shop... I just wish he would have better informed me that the system needed to be close to stock so I wouldn't have had to waste my time.

In the meantime I've taken some sage advice from ^^^^ and installed the mufflers and dumps right off the collectors. It's definitely not quiet, but that doesn't bother me. Just as long as it doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention very often I'll be satisfied for a while. Satisfied as I can be with it still being slow that is...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Well thats good glad you figured it out. Id imagaine its fairly loud so if i was you stay far away from Sycamore. I got pulled over there with the cutout open and was told to cap the cutout. So i did and within 5 minutes i got pulled over again leaving Sycamore and was told to quiet it up.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Ha, yeah, I don't like Sycamore cops. Although they're better than most Elburn cops... I was pulled over a few years back in a different car because "it appeared my license plate light was too dim." Think he was just looking for a DUI to bring in. Luckily I was stone-cold sober. Anyway, I try to avoid Sycamore at all costs, except for running up to the speedway and the winners circle. Luckily that's out of town a bit.

And yes, the car is plenty loud now. Was followed twice last night though without any problems. Probably got lucky...

Quick Reply: Shop in IL told me that an x-pipe is illegal...