Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there something wrong with this? ..pics..

Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there something wrong with this? ..pics..

Isn't it great that when a set of factory rod bolts decide to stretch, it allows a $15 bearing to spin causing over $2,000 in damage. LOL

Oh well, here is my budget rebuild, tell me what you think.
Turned crank
honed block
Mahle Forged Pistons
Scat H-bean rods w/arp 8640 (750hp/7500rpm)
New ported ls6 oil pump
ARP head bolts
LS7 lifters
stock heads, patriot gold dual springs
tsp 233/239 cam
ls2 timing chain
There are other things, but thats all i can think of now. I just can't wait to get it back on the road. Damn cars...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay, i'll say it.....zaino time!

why not step up to a stroker crank if you are already getting the forged rods and pistons? I see it's a budget rebuild, but I'm sure you could sell something else you own for the crank
Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wish i could...

Plus this car gets driven 30,000 miles a year, i wanted to stay stock cube, and just spray it. Alos, gas mileage is somewhat of a concern. I figure a 200 shot will wake it up... I just need a rear end, and i will probably need a new clutch. The powergrip HD still grabs hard after 22k miles, but it probably won't last too much longer.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

That sucks to hear. How did it happen? Talked to you at the River Road cruise. I just got a black SS and your cam sounds interesting to me. Hope you get it back on the road.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tenacious z
That sucks to hear. How did it happen? Talked to you at the River Road cruise. I just got a black SS and your cam sounds interesting to me. Hope you get it back on the road.
Well...how it happened, years of abuse, higher rev-limiter than it was designed for, and weak *** rod bolts pretty much sum up why it went.
I'm using the same cam, i love that cam, sounds nasty, drives ok, and makes decent power.
I'm hoping it will be back on the road in the next week or two. UPS is holding me up now...
River Road cruises are VERY bad for my car LOL, it gets raped very badly on those... I probably make 30+ wot passes on those days.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:30 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

there is somethin definately wrong with this, the pictures are not in cronilogical order (i think thats it)

picture 3 occured after picture 4 was taken, picture 3 you already have the motor apart and on the engine stand and picture 4 was right after you took the motor out and is still on the k-member.

swap the pics around and it will be good to go

so do i win?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

The river road cruise was a blast. Kind of off topic but I noticed that you use to have the 230/224. Why did you decide to switch? Just interested cuz the MTI X1 is one of the cams on the top of my list.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The river road cruise was a blast. Kind of off topic but I noticed that you use to have the 230/224. Why did you decide to switch? Just interested cuz the MTI X1 is one of the cams on the top of my list.

i had the 227/224. It was a great cam, racing everyone with big cammed cars made me sad though. We would be dead even, or i might even pull, but the bigger cammed car ALWAYS ended out on top lol. This cam gave up some mid range power, but it runs a noticable amount better over 4500rpm. Overall i like that cam better than the old one even though it did have a lot better driveability.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDP
there is somethin definately wrong with this, the pictures are not in cronilogical order (i think thats it)

picture 3 occured after picture 4 was taken, picture 3 you already have the motor apart and on the engine stand and picture 4 was right after you took the motor out and is still on the k-member.

swap the pics around and it will be good to go

so do i win?

you got it...you won the prize....

hope you enjoyed the show.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Is that engine hoist holding up the entire front end of your car? If so, that's impressive!!

Mike
Old 05-19-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Is that engine hoist holding up the entire front end of your car? If so, that's impressive!!

Mike
yes, they are rated 2 ton...The front of the car with no engine/trans/k-member/suspension weights NOWHERE near that much. I just make sure i have everything unhooked before the car goes up in the air. You're not going to see me crawling around under the car with it supported by that thing. lol
Old 05-19-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
i had the 227/224. It was a great cam, racing everyone with big cammed cars made me sad though. We would be dead even, or i might even pull, but the bigger cammed car ALWAYS ended out on top lol. This cam gave up some mid range power, but it runs a noticable amount better over 4500rpm. Overall i like that cam better than the old one even though it did have a lot better driveability.
That's what I'm worried about. The only racing that I get involved with happens on the highway. My engine build is going to happen this winter when I don't want to drive the car so I might just bite the bullet and order some rod bolts so I can go big with no worries. If I do that it'll probably be MS4 with PRC LS6 heads or Torquer 3 but i'm not sure which heads to go with. If you need some help with your project just send me a pm. I'm only 10 minutes from you.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
yes, they are rated 2 ton...The front of the car with no engine/trans/k-member/suspension weights NOWHERE near that much. I just make sure i have everything unhooked before the car goes up in the air. You're not going to see me crawling around under the car with it supported by that thing. lol
Ya, I wouldn't get under that thing either lol... I've seen those cherry pickers buckle the legs/straps with engine/tranny combos. Looks cool all up in the air like that though.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I'm worried about. The only racing that I get involved with happens on the highway. My engine build is going to happen this winter when I don't want to drive the car so I might just bite the bullet and order some rod bolts so I can go big with no worries. If I do that it'll probably be MS4 with PRC LS6 heads or Torquer 3 but i'm not sure which heads to go with. If you need some help with your project just send me a pm. I'm only 10 minutes from you.
I know someone with a 2000 C5 coupe with a MS3, and PRC 2.5 5.3 liter heads, and someone with a 1999 C5 FRC that has a T3 with the same heads..boths cars run strong, and put down decent numbers.
I usually do everything by myself, but you're more than welcome to come by and check it out and drink some beer. LOL. that's what i do mostly at this point anyway.
If you want, pm, ill give you my cell number, or tell ya how to get to my house sometime.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:34 AM
12 Second Club

wow man! that alot of work for doing it in your garage. I think often about my garage looking like that but, only difference is my motor is not broke "yet". I'm planing on a stroker rebuild. not till next summer but, purchasing parts already.. keep us on updates of your progress....
Old 05-20-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was it tough pulling the motor from the bottom with a hoist? Did the hoist feet interfere with the dolly much? Difficult to get the car high enough?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Was it tough pulling the motor from the bottom with a hoist? Did the hoist feet interfere with the dolly much? Difficult to get the car high enough?
It was simple... Everything. I spent a couple hours one day disconnecting all the electrical connections, taking off the y-pipe, driveshaft, taking off the a/c compressor, hoses, clutch line, brake lines, etc. I also took off my intake because its painted and didnt want to scratch it up lol. At that point it only takes 5 minutes anyway. When i got the hoist from a friend, i spend 5 minutes taking out the K-member bolts, and trans crossmember bolts after i lowered the car onto the dolly.
Basically it's just getting the hoist set-up correctly. The hoist and the dolly are touching, but its easy to get the motor out. Fortunately for my, i actually had all the electrical unhooked, so i didnt have to unhook anything while i was raising the car. Very easy, very straight forward. As far as help goes, i did have a couple people stop by throughout the day, but i did the work myself.
The day i dropped the k-member i was completly by myself though. I you just have to go slow and make sure you don't get hung up on anything. I would say you should be able to get the engine out in less than 4 hours by yourself.
About getting the car high enough, i did have to tie the hood down so it wouldn't hit the garage door, other than that, no issues at all.
VERY EASY.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats is impressive. You can do anything with the right tools ;-)

Search this Thread