General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing Steering system, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Steering system, need advice

Ok, I have a 2000 trans am WS6. I have been reading that power steering fluid being boiled is normal, but the pump is also whining and the fluid is orange. Also my rack is leaking out of the drivers side boot pretty bad. My question is, is the PS pump from advanced auto (Cardone) and rack&pinion (cardone) any good? or should i just say screw it and drop the 230$ or so for the Turn one PS pump? and theres a Cardone power steering filter, that goes in the return line, would it be necessary to get that?

I don't auto cross, the cars my daily driver and just usualy race at the track and kick it around some on the street.

thanks a lot,
michael

Also, I had Valvoline SYN POWER power steering fluid in it (synthetic blend with conditioners) is that no good? i have read that redline is better for our cars.
Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated so i don't use any money on something i don't need or that is no good
Old 05-21-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by michaelxx16
... and the fluid is orange.
If the fluid is orange then you have a hole in your PS cooler. The ps cooler is inside the radiator hose and is a fluid to fluid heat exchanger. The hole is letting dexcool into your PS reservoir and PS fluid into your radiator.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Ok, if it is the ps cooler, would I be better off replacing it? Or going with like a fluid to air or another fluid to fluid ps cooler?(other than gm)
Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Go for fluid to air, cheap and effective. You can get a cooler for like 10$ and then custom fab the rest.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Launching!

would i need to put an air hose somewhere?(like under the car where that hole that the trans ams don't use?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Huh?... air hose? I don't follow. You just need the right pressure line to feed into and out of the cooler and then you would mount the cooler either in front of the A/C condenser or in one of those two plastic grille things under the bumper (like where the procharger intercoolers would mount in one of their kits)... I'd get you a picture but there is no front end on my car right now

Use one of these I think....http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...48651_-1_10535

I guesse I was wrong about the price... one of those would do though. I think some C5 vettes used a fluid to air cooler that was basically just a U-shaped pressure line(not hose) in front of the A/C condenser.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Where are you talking about under the bumper? i dont want to do any major fabbing, and i dont want power steering hoses running everywhere lol. does anyone have a writeup on this? or maybe could xplain to me where it would be best to put it? also would the 4line one be better than the 2 U-shaped one? or would it not be a noticeable difference.

and could i just plug the hose inlets for my stock cooler? or would i be better off replacing it with whatever the regular camaros/trans am's had instead of my cooler pipe?(and if so where could i get it?)

thanks alot for all the help so far.

michael
Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't want to switch to an air cooler, then you should just get a new stock cooler (piece that fits in your radiator hose)
Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Launching!

no, i've got no problem with an air-fluid cooler, its just i dont want to have to mount it like on the front bumper you know? id have no problem with a little extra hose and no chance of this problem erupting down the road, i would love a writeup on this if anyone has ever done it.

thanks alot,
michael
Old 05-22-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by michaelxx16
...i dont want to do any major fabbing, and i dont want power steering hoses running everywhere...
Then just spend the $100 and replace the stock heat exchanger.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Would the 4 pipe kit for 44.99 work for what I'm gonna do?