Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 El Camino

Ok, I need some help with this one guys. I've been lookin around this site for a couple weeks now, and I've found tons of info about what i need to do to get it done. I just wanna know what all I'm forgetting. I'm putting a 2004 GTO LS1 into my '72 elky. I'm kind of in the middle of the Middle East right now fighting Haji, so I cant exactly get everything done right now. I'm goin home on leave in a couple weeks, and i want to get the engine running. My dad's done everything as far as body work goes, and it looks great, but he is all about carburetors and is afraid he'll mess up the new motor... so thats where I come in. I'm tryin to work everything out to where when i get back, we can get it running before Ihave to come back. So here's what I got so far...

-I got the motor mount adapter plates and motor mounts.
-Wiring/ECM- Friends dad is a GM wiring specalist, so he's gonna reprogram my ecm free of charge, and help me with wiring.
-I know I am going to have to notch the crossmember for the oil pan and AC.

I'm going with the automatic that came with it. What else do I need to do?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Launching!

wassup. have the same motor in a 71 monte.same frame. if you use the correct style plates with the energy suspension bushings, you can get the motor in without cutting the 98-02 f-body oil pan.the a/c i have off the motor right now-you def. have to cut frame for that or make high mount setup.just run a gas line into corvette filter/regulator(1999 delco style)and run that up to motor. leave purge vent line disconnected at motor.brake booster vacuum line is metric, a little off from standard 3/8 on car. had to machine a step-down fitting.power steering lines i made using russell braided.(i have an 80's gearbox quick ratio from IROC, so i have 0-ring,not flare). lower rad hose is flex universial from pep-boys. upper is frankenstein looking right now.also tee-in that small cylinder head vent line into upper hose near radiator fitting,nothing crazy, i used 1.5 steel pipe and welded a plate with a tapped 3/8 fitting for that steam hose.you can also chuck the throttle body coolant line, just leave it off-all it does is heat up the butterfly assembly for cold weather.i use a hypertech 160 thermostat. with a 4 core rad, my car runss 180 here in nyc-using just one of the original GTO elec. fans.if you are not using headers, use 98-02 f-body x-haust manifolds(ebay for 40!)they fit awesome on A-body.(try to get flanges with them, so you could weld up your pipes...) What tranny are you using?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A fuel pump that will work with the EFI.
An eletric fan, if you dont already have one.
Fuel line for you return side.
O2 sensors, if the engine didnt come with them.
Headers???
Driveshaft?
Conversion kit to make your speedo work.
Air cleaner.
TB cable?

Thats about all I can think of, maybe someone else can tell me what I missed.

Ron
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Teching In

I guess I could've been a little more descriptive in the first message... I'll be either using the 4L60E that came with it, or a semi-built up 700r4 i have laying around, i havent made up my mind yet... I'll be making headers for it and I've got the O2 sensors that came with it. The fuel pump also came with it, so i'll be using that also. have some elec. fan's that I'll be using, and going to buy a 160f thermostat now . I'll be making my own induction with a K&N filter. I still have quite a bit on my hands, but it's nothing that i can't get done in 2 weeks, especially with help from guys like you out there. Your help is greatly appriciated. The car wont be drivable for another 2 or 3 months, but i wanted to get this part done.. I'll be painting it Lemans Blue from the new Z06's, I love that color.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I would stick with the 4l60E for now. Since it was with the engine setup, one less thing to worry about it not working correctly the first time out. If it dies, throw in your other one.

Quick Reply: LS1 El Camino