Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torsen T-2R strength vs Eaton strength

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Torsen T-2R strength vs Eaton strength

I know this probably belongs in the gears and axles section, but I figured since most people are focused on handling in here this would be the place to get answers. I have a 10 bolt with 3.73's in it and an eaton posi, and I never had any problems with it doing a 1 wheel burnout or spinning the inside tire around the turn, and I always liked how it worked. Then thursday I was doing a normal rear end oil change and I found a tooth off a spider gear in the bottom of the housing. It would cost me about $250 for new spider gears if the clutch packs are ok. I kind of hate doing this, but it would be the cheapest route without dumping too much $$ into the 10 bolt just to break it again a year later. I'm also considering a T-2R since I plan on doing some road coarse driving events in my car, but if it isn't any stronger than the eaton, I'm not going to spend $550 on it just to break it a year later expecially since its not rebuildable. And what normally causes the spider gears to break, launching it or powering out of turns?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would probably put a T2R in my 10 bolt if I didn't want 4.10 gears, with my 400/381 setup. I don't do any hard launches really. The only launches I do are on 315 drag radials on poor surfaces

Sam's also recommended the Auburn Racer's diff as of late since I think he won a nationals event with it. Probably will be the road I take.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone else? The auburn looks like a nice option since its only in the low $400 range.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you looked at the tru-trac? I think it has a nice price tag on it.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Have you looked at the tru-trac? I think it has a nice price tag on it.
But doesn't have as good of a ratio as the T2-R. The normal trutrac is more of a T2 replacement option. There is the Trutrac with preload packs that I've heard isn't too bad, though I think it only has a 9 inch application.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You know, I sell all of the above. Torsen, Eaton, Auburn, TruTrac's (and others). And BTW, you need to know there are different "levels" of Torsens and Auburns.....

I can't recommend anything (more like won't) without talking to you first. I need to have a better idea what the deal here is. T2R's aren't meant to be drag raced but rock around corners.

Happy to help, can't do it by e-mail. Sorry.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

I know about the different levels of torsens and auburns, I called and left a message yesterday, Just waiting for a call back so I can order one of them.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Robert I presume? You're about 2 or 3 down my list (don't worry, I didn't forget). Just had a few supplier issues I needed to work out first. I'll give you a call today.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Robert I presume? You're about 2 or 3 down my list (don't worry, I didn't forget). Just had a few supplier issues I needed to work out first. I'll give you a call today.
Yep that's me, thanks for the help. For anyone wondering I went with the Auburn Racer's series, I was going to try a truetrac but they are on national backoder. I guess thats probably a good thing, it forced me to go with a better differentail

Quick Reply: Torsen T-2R strength vs Eaton strength