Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How do I tell....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I tell....

Ok guys, how in the hell do I know if my 71' Camaro is a Z28 or an RS or what. I am only 21 and obviously wasnt around when they came rolling off of the showroom so I am kinda lost as to how to tell what it is and it is driving me crazy . I have an RS steering wheel but not the RS body style and I have the Z28 option of the 3 piece high spoiler but only CAMARO badges and as far as I know everything is stock... Also, I have no trunk or nose emblem, why not??? I am all bass-ackwards on this so if you have any info I would appreciate it. If you can decode my vin send me a PM.... Heres a pic.... Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VIN decoder

Go to that website and scroll almost all of the way down. Enter your VIN and see what comes up.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

internet search owns you. lots of good information in this link.

http://www.nastyz28.com/faq/2gcdiff.html

Verifying a pre-1972 Z28
To verify a 1970 or 1971 Z28, hopefully the car will be built in Norwood Ohio because the Z28 accessory code will be stamped on the trim tag. However, since you can buy trim tags these days, you need to spend some extra time verifying what you're looking at. (And for heavens sake don't put a "Z28" trim tag on a car that still has a 6 cylinder VIN on it, you'll get caught).

Hopefully what you're looking at is "all original". If it is, you can verify engine codes and codes on the transmission and rear end. All the stuff should match the car it's in, and it should be coded as Z28 equipment. If it matches, you're in business. If it doesn't match, you got problems. Make sure the stampings are legit. Any idiot with a hammer and punch set can throw a wrench into this deal.

If the car was built in LA.... The Z28 has a 8000 RPM tach, which redlines at 6500 RPM. Low performance cars have 7000 RPM tachs and lower redlines. The Z28 has a 3/8" fuel line (and a return line?). Low performance cars don't have the "big" fuel lines.
ALL Z28's got the F41 suspension, which means there will be a rear swaybar on the car, or presense of one. Since the rear swaybar brackets are welded to the frame, it'll still be there even if the bar is removed. The car will have a 12 bolt in it. 8 bolts and a couple brake lines and you can unbolt this and run off with the expensive 12 bolt, which has been known to happen. The (1970 only) Z28 originally had a 12 bolt rear. It's not uncommon for a 10 bolt to be sitting under the car now for whatever reason. Obviously the 1971 Z28 has a 10 bolt rear end.
The Z28 WILL NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING. None. Verify that there are no traces of A/C (ducting, kick panels, big hole in the firewall for evaporator).
The Z28 can be an automatic, or a 4 speed. If the car was an automatic, it was a TH400. The TH400 has an electric kickdown, so if you have a cable kickdown from a TH350, you have a problem.

Quick Reply: How do I tell....