Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally some progress on my third gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally some progress on my third gen UPDATED!!!

It's been slow going but I'm finally making some progress. I'm waiting on a friend of mine to get some free time so I can take this thing to his shop and use his paint booth to paint the rest. I'll post more pics as things progress.

1991 Z28: LS1/T56, tubular k-member, control arms, etc., all seams in engine bay have been fully welded. No particular order to the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Finally some progress on my third gen-dash-1.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-dash-2.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-engine-installed-2.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-engine-installed-3.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-freshly-primered-door.jpg  

Last edited by fast377; 06-05-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

some more
Attached Thumbnails Finally some progress on my third gen-p1010175.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-p1010175.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-painted-engine-bay-1.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-painted-front-end.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-painted-roll-cage-1.jpg  

Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

few more
Attached Thumbnails Finally some progress on my third gen-painted-roll-cage-2.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-right-side-fender-stripped.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-shaved-fuel-door-straightening.jpg  
Old 05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darn you fellas and your kick *** resto/builds on thirdgens. Ive seen a few really clean swaps and builds lately and its making mine seems like a piece of garbage!

I gotta wait til I have a house and a garage then its on...strippin it down just like you did, fixing every little thing and making it perfect.

Good work so far! Looks like its going to be a great car when you're done.

Justin
Old 05-20-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Darn you fellas and your kick *** resto/builds on thirdgens. Ive seen a few really clean swaps and builds lately and its making mine seems like a piece of garbage!

I gotta wait til I have a house and a garage then its on...strippin it down just like you did, fixing every little thing and making it perfect.

Justin
where did u get ur lt's from?
what yr is ur bird?
my new build is 87 fiebird ht, that was originally a 3.1 v6 efi /a4
got the car for free, body is in 9 out of 10 interior not as good, but i will be using 4th gen dash and console. has the gta front bumper. i will be using
ram air hood. engine is 370 ci 8.25:1 with twin t70's. in process of fab.
manifolds etc.using pa racing kmember. also using over grown mr2 intercoolers
for turbos, i will be NOT cuttin a slot in my buper for the ic, styled after the procharger ic. sorry for

fast377
superb progress
Old 05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Justin
Yea, the garage definately makes a difference...sadly I will be selling my house in a few months and moving . After I welded up the fuel door and antennae hole, I pretty much put a thin coat of body filler over the whole car so I could word out any waves that might have been there. Since I'm going with black, it will show everything. Thanks for the compliments...and yours is far from a piece of garbage! Nice ride!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

How did you do your dash? Did you have to fab up any special brakets?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mongoose_ss
How did you do your dash? Did you have to fab up any special brakets?
All in all it pretty much bolted right up. A couple of bolts at the top had to be drilled and I made two brackets at the lower corners to secure it on the sides, but that's about it. The top piece that velcros/snaps in had to be trimmed where it meets the windshield, but it was all pretty simple.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast377
All in all it pretty much bolted right up. A couple of bolts at the top had to be drilled and I made two brackets at the lower corners to secure it on the sides, but that's about it. The top piece that velcros/snaps in had to be trimmed where it meets the windshield, but it was all pretty simple.
Man, of all the mods... thats the most intimidating to me. I love my dash now tho... but there was a time where I wanted the firebird dash with the round a/c vents. All that wiring and fitting just scared the crap out of me. haha.

I still have all the parts out of my 99 donor car for the dash. I thought about it again while I was doing my swap...but just dont like the way the camaro dash looks in my car.

If I would have taken the car down to nothing but the chassis, and rewired the entire car, I probably would have swapped to the 4th gen dash.

J.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, of all the mods... thats the most intimidating to me. I love my dash now tho... but there was a time where I wanted the firebird dash with the round a/c vents. All that wiring and fitting just scared the crap out of me. haha.

I still have all the parts out of my 99 donor car for the dash. I thought about it again while I was doing my swap...but just dont like the way the camaro dash looks in my car.

If I would have taken the car down to nothing but the chassis, and rewired the entire car, I probably would have swapped to the 4th gen dash.

J.
I questioned the dash at first. But I like the styling of it better than the third gen one. What made life easy is I'm actually using every inch of wiring out of a 2001 SS...headlights to tail lights. So everything has been kind of smooth sailing. Now there are a few plugs inside the car that I am unsure of what they go to. The part I am having a little trouble with right now is the rack and pinion set up. I found one that has enough travel so I can retain the stock turning radius. I'm going to have to weld some an fittings to the rack (no adapter exists) and make some brackets to bolt to the k-member (where the pinto rack is supposed to go). The alternator can stay in the same spot, but it needs to swing up as far as it can...more brackets to fabricate. I'm just waiting to get my front coilovers for the front so I can put my LS1 brakes and everything on before I can roll it out and paint it.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

We were able to lay some paint on the car this weekend. Man it looks good! These pics DO NOT do it justice. I still have to do the hood and the bumper covers, but at least it's some more progress. Pay no attention to the mustang wheels on the front...they are "shop wheels" that I put on everything to move around in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails Finally some progress on my third gen-right-front.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-right-side-3.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-door.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-left-quarter-2.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-right-quarter.jpg  

Last edited by fast377; 07-25-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple more in no particular order.
Attached Thumbnails Finally some progress on my third gen-left-quarter.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-left-side-view.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-right-side-view.jpg   Finally some progress on my third gen-taped-up-paint-booth.jpg  

Last edited by fast377; 04-21-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Wow! looks like a copy of mine but in black! check the sig
Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice job on the progress so far, looks like it is coming along nicely. Pics NEVER do a great paint job justice. A high end photo will come close depending on color, but nothing like seeing it in person.

Im going to be doing a third gen one of these days myself. I have way to much work and way to little funds to get one at this point though. Seeing projects like yours really gets me motivated to get my *** in gear and get one.

I have to give you credit on that dash swap. Thats something I wouldnt have the patience to do. Of course Im partial to the Third Gen. dashes so thats why. But it looks like it was done very well. Look forward to seeing more pics.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I'm hoping to get back on it this fall. I have to pull the trans out and fix an oil leak, and finish running my power steering lines to the rack. But other than that it's mechanically done. I'm just left with all the small stuff that adds up to equal the price of a new Kia...like weatherstripping, door handles, window guides, light housings, tires for the mammoth 19s in the back, etc.

Quick Reply: Finally some progress on my third gen