General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trouble Starting! Need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Question Trouble Starting! Need Help!!!!

I have a 98 Z28 and a few days ago I went to start it up and it had trouble... almost like the battery had been drained. It will start but it takes way too much cranking. I notice the trip meter goes back to 0, as if the battery was unplugged or dead. Yesterday i went to start it and it wouldnt fire, I waited five seconds tried it again and it fired after a few seconds of cranking. I think the power is getting taken up by something, I just can't figure out what. When the car starts it sometimes idles really high and I have to turn it off then on again. The idle problem corrects itself when turned off then on. I have a Optima yellow top if that matters. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 05-20-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start with checking the terminals on the battery, even have it load tested to eliminate it first. The trip reset and idle relearn sounds like low voltage to me.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the EXACT same problem with my 99 Z-28, and it ended up being the chip that is on the key going bad. I talked to a guy at the local shop and he said that he has had about 3 guys come in with the same issue. You can either get a new key or you can eliminate the need for the chip alltogether
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the posts. The terminals look fine, I will probably load test the battery tomorrow. I tried using the spare key, the chip looks to be in much better shape, however this made no difference. Any other comments or ideas?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like sumthing drained your battery- are any of your power options not working? i had a similar problem. my buddy broke the door lock switch and every morning my car was dead because the door lock mechanism was in an open loop all night and it drained the battery-so i just pulled the fuses until i replaced the switch
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hello all, yesterday I had my Engine Performance Instructor run a check on the entire charging system. It turns out the battery was going bad, and the charging system was working great even with all loads on. So today I went to Autozone and got a new Optima Yellow Top. It was $150 after a $50 rebate on the old battery and another $12 rebate for giving them my old battery. Installed it and the car started up better then ever. Thanks to all who helped out in diagnosing the problem, I saved a lot of time and money!