Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen header question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen header question

Alright I searched for a little while and found somebody that was going to try what i am going to do but didnt say whether it would work or not. I am trying to see if the SW LT's will work with the ATS motor mounts. I think they might have to be massaged just a little. Does anybody know of any LT's that work with the ATS mounts that you dont have to modify besides ATS's LT's just because I dont know if I want to drop 2,000 on a set of LT's even though I would if I could and they look extremely nice
Old 05-21-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hooker has come out with a set, but I don't know if they will work with those mounts. Might be worth checking out.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running the Hookers with ATS mounts. I had to make 3 dings to clear the steering box and pitman arm.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I think that is what I would have to about do to make the SW's work also but I havent heard anybody that has this combination
Old 05-21-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not sure what the diff is with the ats mounts but i have the stainless works longtubes and they clear fine. but i have the one form the car shop in olly's sticky http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produ..._id/74328/LS1GM . and im not running a power box. the maunual may be smaller crwating more clearance. if this helps

Attached Thumbnails 1st gen header question-adapter-n-mount.jpg   1st gen header question-drvrhdr.jpg  
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

The ATS plates flip the engine mount upside down to drop the engine down about 3/4" lower than the S&P/CarShop style plates.

My plates are actually Autokraft which are clones of the ATS plates:

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rodder
The ATS plates flip the engine mount upside down to drop the engine down about 3/4" lower than the S&P/CarShop style plates.

My plates are actually Autokraft which are clones of the ATS plates:

That is right and by the looks of it you have their oil pan also. I also have the autokraft oil pan. How do you like it? How did you go about getting an oil pressure reading? thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 04:21 AM
11 Second Club

Also interested in how you guys feel about the Autokraft pan, I'm about to get one.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Teching In

I ran the hooker long tubes with my Ls2 and s&p mounts and only had to put
1 small ding in the header where the pitman arm goes onto the bottom
of the gearbox. You can't even see the ding unless your under the car.
When I say ding I mean the size of a nickel. Good Luck
Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Also interested in how you guys feel about the Autokraft pan, I'm about to get one.

All i can say right now is that it looks awesome and you are able to use the stock oil pan gasket and dont have to use a remote oil filter system which is really what i did not want to have to do. Oh and you get to have an awesome capacity instead of having to notch your oil pan and it is cheaper than say ATS's
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont mean to sound dumb , but here goes.... are those mounts suppossed to be upside down or is tjere a chance you can swap sides with the ats parts so the mounts install right side up and that would raise the motor up and possibly clear the headers. no?

this is the pass side of mine

you see how it slopes toward the back as it goes down on the right side and yours slopes toward the front it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen header question-adapter-mount.jpg  

Last edited by leonpiper69; 05-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brandon Smith
That is right and by the looks of it you have their oil pan also. I also have the autokraft oil pan. How do you like it? How did you go about getting an oil pressure reading? thanks
The Autokraft looks nice and seems to work OK. I have a ding in the left side of it now from where an inner tied rod hit it--not sure what's up with that, I have 1/4in of clearance on that side now post-alignment. For oil pressure, I drilled and tapped the tree next to the oil filter (check the stickies in this forum).
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
i dont mean to sound dumb , but here goes.... are those mounts suppossed to be upside down or is tjere a chance you can swap sides with the ats parts so the mounts install right side up and that would raise the motor up and possibly clear the headers. no?

you see how it slopes toward the back as it goes down on the right side and yours slopes toward the front it looks like.
The ATS plates intentionally put the mount upside down to lower the engine. You can't swap sides (turn them into S&P mounts) without a little cutting and/or grinding. Also with some frame stands, you may have to trim the lips on one of the energy suspension mounts to get them to drop down all the day. http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF3110.html - look for the red & yellow paint marks on the mount to see where I cut.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget that if you lower the engine 3/4", the headers will also be lower ...

The best fitting combo I've seen on a first gen LSx was Hooker headers with Hooker engine mount plates - at least 1/2" clearance everywhere, which doesn't sound like much except that so many other combos have "negative clearance"
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I swapped an LS7 into my 69 Camaro, used Hooker plates with the ATS mounts. Moved the mount hats forward 1/2" down 3/8". The Super Comp Hookers fit without dings, dents, scapes, otherwords perfect! Cleared everything.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
i have an autokraft pan on a 5.3L. the autokraft is significantly lighter. using autokraft's mounts i had no steering clearance issues. i was able to slide the engine in with the tranny & oil pan attached.

there were a few issues w/ the pan.
-if you installing pan w/ tranny attached, getting to the pan's rear bolts is a tight squeeze.
-takes about 30mins to completely drain pan, due to baffles
-can't use stock a/c. the 5.3L attaches a/c brackets to oem oil pan.
-the filter-adaptor mount holes in the pan were too small, had to drill them out
-oem bolts are too long for pan due to thinner lip, need shorter bolts or washers

in reply to the original poster. i have the autokraft mounts & have ordered s&p headers. ordered thru gpsuperstore GP 2 months ago, but still @ least 3 weeks out. i'll report back here when i receive the headers.

Quick Reply: 1st gen header question