Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove voltage regulator + wiring (1970 ElCamino)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove voltage regulator + wiring (1970 ElCamino)

Did some searching, and apparently I can get rid of the old voltage regulator from my engine compartment, unfortunatly nobody said how to do it!

Question: I want to remove my old, potentially faulty voltage regulator from my wiring on a 1970 ElCamino. Where do I get a regulated 12+ to charge my battery? Oh, yes it is a 2000 LS1 w/auto tranny.

I've figured out the rest of the harness connections, but would like to clean things up a bit and make my all-important charging system function better than they did in the 70's.

Matt

Last edited by rotoober; 05-21-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The new alternator has a regulator in it. (Assuming you just did an LSX swap). You can use the horn relay as a distribution point or clean it up real nice and make a new distribution point.

Go check Mad Electric for some good info...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67rsss
The new alternator has a regulator in it. (Assuming you just did an LSX swap). You can use the horn relay as a distribution point or clean it up real nice and make a new distribution point.

Go check Mad Electric for some good info...
Ok, I understand using the horn relay, large gauge wire, close to the battery. BUT, where do I get the + out of the alternator? There is a terminal on the back that I'm hooking my fuel pump power on, should I use this?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

There should be a largish wire with a stud and bolt on the back, not the one from the connector. I believe there is a thread on here somewhere about hooking up the new style alternator in a swap.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

The 2000 LS1 alternator has the field controlled by the PCM. Assuming you are using the stock LS1 harness or had a proper one made, the only other thing you'll hook up to the alternator is the stud-and-nut connector that 67rsss mention. If you are using the stock LS1 battery cables, then it's probably already connected and all you need to do is hook the 8-ga red battery wire to a junction block (or horn relay if it's like my '68). You can remove the old voltage regulator and alternator wiring--you won't use any of it with the LS1 alternator. Just the bolt-down connector to the battery, and the plug-in connector to the PCM.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I've got the large lead that goes to the starter + terminal and the battery + will hook up to this to feed power into the stock LS1 harness. Alternator has only one wire on the connector up top, but nothing for the lug on the back. I would assume taping into the lug on the back and running it into my horn relay (distribution block) would get my charging circuit completed.

Question: do I need to put in a resistor between the alternator lug and the horn relay?

Looking back, it would have been much easier (and less expensive) to buy a complete pull-out instead of doing what I did for my first experience with a LS1 - I got a good shortblock and then sourced all the acellary parts one at a time (heads,intake,wiring harness, computer, etc..) I did this purposly so I could learn about this engine, but, it makes things 2X as difficult! BTW, everything is from 2000 and 2001 year cars.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rotoober
Ok, I've got the large lead that goes to the starter + terminal and the battery + will hook up to this to feed power into the stock LS1 harness. Alternator has only one wire on the connector up top, but nothing for the lug on the back. I would assume taping into the lug on the back and running it into my horn relay (distribution block) would get my charging circuit completed.
Yes, hook the lug on the back of the alternator to your horn relay/battery+

Originally Posted by rotoober
Question: do I need to put in a resistor between the alternator lug and the horn relay?
NO, there should not be a resistor in this wire. The only time you would need a resistor is if you were not using the computer to control the alt. and it would go in a different wire in that case,

Quick Reply: Remove voltage regulator + wiring (1970 ElCamino)