Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please

Old 05-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

Sorry I posted this earlier in the General Maintenance section and had no replies. I would really appreciate any help.

Hey guys, (stupid question). I've never replaced a rear main seal. Once I remove the tranny (M6), bell housing, clutch and flywheel do i need to remove the throwout bearing?
Then I'm assuming all I need to do is remove the rear cover off of the block and then the seal is right there, remove and replace?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone??
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

the throwout bearing is on the slave cylinder, so it will come out with the trans. but you dont need to remove the rear cover off of the block. but you will need the correct tool to install the seal or it will be leaking worse than ever, so you need to either let somebody else that has the tool or find someone that works at a dealership or has access to the tool to let you borrow it, but besides that you should do fine, good luck
Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your reply. I've read where most people have done it without the tool. I'm assuming your talking about the tool that puts the new seal in the rear, right?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:45 PM
11Second Club

That is what he's referring to. I put the rear main seal in myself without the tool, and I didn't have a problem. As long as you buy the one that has the white ring in the middle of it, you can simply slide the seal off the ring and onto the crank without an issue. Mine doesn't seem to be leaking at all. I even put the rear cover on myself with the alignment tool they suggest using.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

im sure it can be done without the tool, but to go that far into it i would rather have it and make sure it was right before i put it all back together

Search this Thread