General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced low coolant sensor, light still on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced low coolant sensor, light still on...

Well after yesterdays adventure that was replacing the heater core in my 98 WS6 I figured I would finally get around to replaceing the low coolant sensor on the radiator as it has been on for quite soemtime and the radiator is always full. Anyways, I ended up replacing it with a brand new unit from the local GM dealer (ouch), needless to say I wasn't pleased when I turned the car on and the warning light was still on. The previous unit was pretty caked with junk and build up, however do I need to do something to turn this light off or will it go off on its own? The only other thing I can think of is, is that it proudly states made in mexico on it, maybe a bad unit?

-SmallTires

As a side note after heater core replacement my car magically runs about 15 degrees cooler then it did before which I am still mystified by.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did the same thing and it ran like that for about a day. I wanted to cry for dropping the money for it but then it went off. Hope yours does the same.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i unplugged mine when it went bad, problem solved.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why don't you disconnect the battery or pull the battery fuse for a couple of minutes and it should clear it.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SmallTires
Well after yesterdays adventure that was replacing the heater core in my 98 WS6 I figured I would finally get around to replaceing the low coolant sensor on the radiator as it has been on for quite soemtime and the radiator is always full. Anyways, I ended up replacing it with a brand new unit from the local GM dealer (ouch), needless to say I wasn't pleased when I turned the car on and the warning light was still on. The previous unit was pretty caked with junk and build up, however do I need to do something to turn this light off or will it go off on its own? The only other thing I can think of is, is that it proudly states made in mexico on it, maybe a bad unit?

-SmallTires

As a side note after heater core replacement my car magically runs about 15 degrees cooler then it did before which I am still mystified by.
How much did you pay for it at the dealer? I need one too. They're $38.00 at Rock Auto.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
ZSU
Launching!

By the way my cars low coolant ligt was on about 1 year.. And They said the sensor is down. So I didnt care it.. But after my car temp heated. It has blown had gasket.. The repairman has revised radiator and one of pipe back of the engine.. it has leak the water so he change that part.. And my low coolant is okay now! If you notice your car is leaking water take care of it. I hope my cylnders and bearings wont damage from that heat.
95 TA
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZSU
By the way my cars low coolant ligt was on about 1 year.. And They said the sensor is down. So I didnt care it.. But after my car temp heated. It has blown had gasket.. The repairman has revised radiator and one of pipe back of the engine.. it has leak the water so he change that part.. And my low coolant is okay now! If you notice your car is leaking water take care of it. I hope my cylnders and bearings wont damage from that heat.
95 TA

WHAT!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Well light is still not off, I will try the battery thing tomorrow.

Quickin: I ened up paying about $55 at the dealer to get the thing in there. I just was annoyed by it. This is yet another reason why I hate going to the dealer...