Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

box for 4 12"s on ebay. too expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default box for 4 12"s on ebay. too expensive?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7734&rd=1&rd=1

He also has another auction where he is selling the entire system. I think its a little overpriced but the build looks pretty good.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW, I'd never pay $400 for that box.

He didn't even vinyl the sides.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

2 12's in a box from subthump.com and call it a day.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSShow
2 12's in a box from subthump.com and call it a day.
Thats what i have and its perfect!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

yea same. subthump ???..

4 12's holy **** hehe... i dunno that might be overkill imo
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dip Stick
yea same. subthump ???..

4 12's holy **** hehe... i dunno that might be overkill imo
It will make the car too heavy!!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you put 2 high-end 12's in your car and get 2 bad *** mono amps, they'll blow 4 average 12's out of the water any day. Just because you double the amount of subs doesn't mean you double the sound level....or coolness for that matter.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ That is not entirely true.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have 2 12's, say 300W RMS a piece, and you throw in 2 more 300W RMS subs, pushed to the same specs, you will not get twice the decibel level. When I say high-end subs, I mean the best that money can buy. And by average, I mean a $100 XPlod, which I don't like all that much, but other people seem to.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alpine makes 2 subs (10" and 12") that are 3000W peak, 1000W RMS. I would guess your average run of the mill 12" sub is around 300W RMS. I'd take those 2 Alpines any day....the 10's to save room, too. Haha
Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Teching In

actually you would get about twice the sound level if you double the cone area.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never actually taken measurements, but a lot of people say that you don't get the higher dB levels once you get up around 3 or 4. Makes sense, because of interference. Obviously you would get more sound intensity, but I'm almost positive it wouldn't double.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

just to clarrify, the decibel level will never be doubled by doubling the cone area. since dB is a logarithmic measurement, itll only go up by 3 points if the sound is effectively doubled.

if you take two of any given subs with any given amps, and add two more of the same subs, running off that same amp, the dB will go up by 3 points. if you add another of the same amp, itll go up by 3 more dB. when you change the equipment then all properties change.

now back on topic: that box is pretty ugly. you can see a seam in the vinyl and of course as said earlier, the sides arent even vinyled. dont forget that this is also a generic box. youd need to find subs that use that given internal volume or else your subs wont work in optional conditions.

$400 isnt bad for a custom box, but for that price it needs to be built for the car AND the subs.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

Why do SO many people think Alpine is the best money can buy??!! Alpine is decent stuff for sure, but the best?? As far as Sony goes for car audio....sorry, but they have been out of the game for years. Xplod's are about the same quality as Pyle, Lanzar, Boss, etc. They are hardly average. The Alpine Type X is a nice sub but not "the best money can buy". RE Audio, Digital Designs, Rainbow, CDT, MMATs, Adire, JL Audio all have subs that are in the "best money can buy" category depending on model. No offense but I know Alpine wrote 1000watts rms on the box but I wouldn't believe everything I read!!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned

I've seen that box before and no one bought it. I guess for what it is...it's all right but I would vote for what LT1wannabe originally said with 2 quality 12's but with one good amp pushing them. If you have the right amp...2 amps wouldn't be needed unless your using another one for mids and highs.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fast01z28
just to clarrify, the decibel level will never be doubled by doubling the cone area. since dB is a logarithmic measurement, itll only go up by 3 points if the sound is effectively doubled.

if you take two of any given subs with any given amps, and add two more of the same subs, running off that same amp, the dB will go up by 3 points. if you add another of the same amp, itll go up by 3 more dB. when you change the equipment then all properties change.

now back on topic: that box is pretty ugly. you can see a seam in the vinyl and of course as said earlier, the sides arent even vinyled. dont forget that this is also a generic box. youd need to find subs that use that given internal volume or else your subs wont work in optional conditions.

$400 isnt bad for a custom box, but for that price it needs to be built for the car AND the subs.

yea, 3 decibel points is double the sound level.

On the box. i thought 3/4 is what most boxes are used. i dont see how thats generic. I think i might bid on the box, he isnt too far from where i live and 285 for this box seems like a good deal.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FalseErr0r
yea, 3 decibel points is double the sound level.
No, it's really not. It will take a doubling of power or a doubling of cone area to gain 3db, not the other way around. A decibel is about the smallest increment change in sound that you can decipher anyway...think about it.

Do you really think 140 db car is 8 times louder than a 131 db car? I don't think so.

Marty
Old 05-22-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
No, it's really not. It will take a doubling of power or a doubling of cone area to gain 3db, not the other way around. A decibel is about the smallest increment change in sound that you can decipher anyway...think about it.

Do you really think 140 db car is 8 times louder than a 131 db car? I don't think so.

Marty
ill disagree...3dB difference does mean a doubling of power or doubling of cone area, but that means that its double the sound. people confuse that with double the dB. have you heard a 131 dB car compared to a 140dB car? it is about 8 times louder. keep in mind that our (human) hearing is so insensative that we cant tell when sound has been doubled.

Why do SO many people think Alpine is the best money can buy??!! Alpine is decent stuff for sure, but the best?? As far as Sony goes for car audio....sorry, but they have been out of the game for years. Xplod's are about the same quality as Pyle, Lanzar, Boss, etc. They are hardly average. The Alpine Type X is a nice sub but not "the best money can buy". RE Audio, Digital Designs, Rainbow, CDT, MMATs, Adire, JL Audio all have subs that are in the "best money can buy" category depending on model. No offense but I know Alpine wrote 1000watts rms on the box but I wouldn't believe everything I read!!
ahmen. but i must say that even JL, MMATS, CDT and DD are not the best money can buy. that term is used too often these days. if i wanted the best money could buy id get a sunfire sub, and have its enclosure modified to work in car. as far as car audio brands go, focal comes to mind, Image dynamics, in addition to the ones you stated, but those arent the best money can buy. i dont believe thats a car specific sub that is the best money can buy. lol

sony is junk. alpine is middle of the line, and the rest of the 'high end' brands are awesome.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

yea i do think 140 db is 8 times louder then a 131 db car. And we've been talking about doubling the cone area to gain double the sound this entire thread. and 3 db is roughly twice the loudness.

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone

Marty
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying Alpine was the best. I know they're up there with the best, but I haven't had all the others in my car to make a fair comparison. I just used those 3000W subs because I just happened to know who made a 3000W sub, and it happened to be Alpine.