General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changed fuel filter/trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed fuel filter/trans fluid

Ok. bought my TA last oct. with 43k miles, drove it some, stored it for the winter, then got it out this spring. 46k miles on it now.

Last week I changed out the trans fluid and fuel filter. If that wasn't a chore getting that low slung of a car up off the floor and level, I don't know what is!

Looked like the trans fluid had never been changed yet, the case around the drain plug was clean. The trans definately shifted easier with the new fluid, especially going into first gear while coming to a stop.

The fuel filter looked like it had never been touched, so I assume it was the original filter. after I changed it and test drove, it seemed like the car had a noticeable increase of acceleration. Is this my imagination, or would the fuel filter make that much of a difference?

John
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Launching!

I just checked the old fuel filter, it's GM, so I'm going with the assumption it's the original filter.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it can and it did on my car as well. I posted on this site about this around 9-10 months ago and told all of the guys here about the difference it had made. Some that tried this had similar results and some didn't.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Forgot to mention Sea Foam as well. Do a search for this on this site and you will find directions on how to do this. Miracle in a can. In addition to this I sprayed my TB down good with TB cleaner. After I did all of this I couldn't believe the difference.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Is this the Fuel filter on the drivers side floorboard? Whats the part # because I may have to do mine I just hit 48k.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

itz your imagination.. it does make lil difference but you wont notice it. itz in your head.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JayBirdWs6
Is this the Fuel filter on the drivers side floorboard? Whats the part # because I may have to do mine I just hit 48k.

Yes. Just go down to Autozone or Advance Auto or similar and tell them your car model. Took all of 15 minutes to replace mine but be prepared to have your arms completely covered with gasoline. Wear gloves.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its back near the rear axle on the drivers side, you cant miss it
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Launching!

yea im due to change mine again
Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

just seafoamed the topend, ran a can of seafoam through the gas tank, and changed the fuel filter. after changing my fuel filter i took it for a test drive. the damn thing ran like a rocket. i have 105000 miles on the car and the fuel filter had never been changed. i thought it was in my head too, until i read your post. seafoam your motor bro. you'll feel it even more.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Launching!

its near the rear axle of the drivers side. heres a step-by-step. its for an ls1 but the procedure is basically the same. you're gonna want a bucket. i used one like the ones you get from home depot but shorter. it fit unerneath perfectly. and watch your eyes. when you pull that line gas goes everywhere. ask me how i know.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

edit:tainted beat me to it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

STEP 1: Open your gas cap!!!!!!!!! Save yourself the full coating of gasoline and depressurize the system first!!! I think alot of you out there(myself included) wish they had done this step prior to changing the fuel filter the first time.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jond99
STEP 1: Open your gas cap!!!!!!!!! Save yourself the full coating of gasoline and depressurize the system first!!! I think alot of you out there(myself included) wish they had done this step prior to changing the fuel filter the first time.

LOL. I let my car sit overnight and opened the gas cap all to no avail. I was still covered in gasoline and it poured like a faucet the whole time. This is still good advice though.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can look inside the filter once you take it off and see if it is really clogged. i tend to cut mine open just out of curiosity after i get them off the car.