Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1200 a good deal on a clean RUNNING 89' FC RX7 GTU 13b-5speed??? Has 104,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default $1200 a good deal on a clean RUNNING 89' FC RX7 GTU 13b-5speed??? Has 104,000 miles

Its a 1989-1990ish FC RX7 GTU original 104,000 miles never been hit and its doesnt look like it has honestly. It has 5 lug application and supposedly has the turbo LSD rear on it already, (we did alittle drift test in it to check out how the tires pull lol). It has the 13B non-turbo 5 speed combo and it is running but its smoking alittle and has alittle trouble finding a consistent idle until its all warmed up and stuff, you must drive it around or play with the throttle alittle for it to stay on kinda deal, dam rotaries, then it idles OKAY at about 1100 rpm. The interior is as mint as it is going to get pretty much its very clean black cloth and the exterior paint is decent bright red color but the clear is fading on some spots on the tail, it has the nice raised tail and the nice S5 newer brake lights and the "newer" side mirrors that look all aerodynamic. Guages are white lettering(well faded offwhite) and read 8000rpm redline, 160 mph speedo. I realy dont know anything about these cars but i want to hopefully swap something into it in the future. Friend is asking $2000 on the street but for me it would be ALOT less, more like $1200 or so..., souds like a good deal to me i just wanna ask the guys who know more LIKE ALL YOU RX7club & LS1rx7 guys!!!! THANKS I APPRECIATE IT!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

helllooooooooo anyone out there lol
Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well fi youre planning an ls1 swap in it, then whoc ares how the motor is, youre ditching it anyway.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
well fi youre planning an ls1 swap in it, then whoc ares how the motor is, youre ditching it anyway.
bingo, but maybe they want to sell the engine or something. Are the non-turbo's even worth anything?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

well i care because i want to drive it for alittle in the meantime but that motor tranny is garbage to me but its gold for someone else. The 13b engine is like the upgrade for older rx7's kinda like putting an LS1 into an LT1 car. well from what ive learned anyways. So yeah since motor and tranny on this car are considered "good" and in working condition i could probably sell the rx7 crap for maybe $500 for someone who wants it in their older mazda and i could use that money for the LS1 swap parts. Either way i dont care for the mazda motor it just happens to be up and running for that good of a price, on top of that the body is in good condition

I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me if thats a good deal for that kind of car, The GTU rx7 model is kinda like the Turbo II model that comes with everything except that its turbocharged, basically....
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

what happened to all the mazda guys, where ya attttttttttttttttttttt
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

where are you located?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

florida, why
Old 05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a decent deal to me
Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fenix999
florida, why
i was gonna consider lookin at it but thats a little too far
Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like a good price. the 13B engine was the larger of the 2 engines that Mazda used, but was stock for that year, IIRC. Since you can recoup part of the price by selling the drivetrain, you are getting a bargain.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

It sounds like a decent price if the body and interior are clean. I would seriously be suspicious about it having the turbo II rear. NA Rx-7 did not come that way from the factory. IT would have required a full rear end swap and a custom drive shaft. My 91 rx-7 came with a limited slip. Those years from the factory came with VSLD. After having one I don't like it.

Personally i would NOT drive it. A running motor is worth more than if it blows up. Sell or part the motor out now!! before it is too late. If you sell the motor in parts you'll make more. Losts more. Being a 89+ the parts are harder to come buy and easier to sell. without trying hard I managed to sell some engine parts from my '91 for about $400 and I only had one good rotor and housing (the other had been blown). I ended up junking the trans and a bunch of other parts because I didn't feel like bothering with selling them.

Oh the 89+ have the "passive seat belts". This to me is a big downer for those cars.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Sounds like a good price. the 13B engine was the larger of the 2 engines that Mazda used, but was stock for that year, IIRC. Since you can recoup part of the price by selling the drivetrain, you are getting a bargain.
yea thats what i was thinking drive it around for a little bit tune it up with plugs/fuel filter, oil change, new gas and get it running "okay" again and just sell everything in it that im not going to ever need again, like the motor/trans. That money will probably help me almost cover everything needed for the LS1 swap hardware. Hopefully that is... But yeah its pretty nice considering its a 20 year old car and its very nice compared to the other 2nd gen RX7's ive seen locally and on ebay. It was parked for 2 years, the guy knew nothing about the dam car, didnt wanna start and now we got it running again after my friend took it off his hands. Drives solid for being on old gas,old oil, and all that. I gotta change all that out ASAP though, it has a tiny miss at idle which im positive is the bad fuel and bad plugs.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Thaniel
It sounds like a decent price if the body and interior are clean. I would seriously be suspicious about it having the turbo II rear. NA Rx-7 did not come that way from the factory. IT would have required a full rear end swap and a custom drive shaft. My 91 rx-7 came with a limited slip. Those years from the factory came with VSLD. After having one I don't like it.

Personally i would NOT drive it. A running motor is worth more than if it blows up. Sell or part the motor out now!! before it is too late. If you sell the motor in parts you'll make more. Losts more. Being a 89+ the parts are harder to come buy and easier to sell. without trying hard I managed to sell some engine parts from my '91 for about $400 and I only had one good rotor and housing (the other had been blown). I ended up junking the trans and a bunch of other parts because I didn't feel like bothering with selling them.

Oh the 89+ have the "passive seat belts". This to me is a big downer for those cars.
Yea supposedly this car has the LSD rear i personally dont care what it has as long as its something that will hold some decent power (like stock LS1 power). Yea man actually im scared i might blow it up just driving it around the block, but at the same time its a fun little car i'd LIKE to drive for a few days out of the week. I just dont know how good a condition the internals on the motor are in so im being very cautious every time i even turn it on. I must change out all the fluids in the car, i know everything must be stale as hell and probably not even liquid anymore. More like gunk. I know i will want to sell the 13B motor and 5 speed tranny BUT HOW MUCH WILL THAT GO FOR? TOGETHER how much and if i part out how much more will it end up selling for?? I honestly dont know much about these cars or about mazda's period but they seem like simple setups (besides the motor of course).
Oh yea if you're talking about the automatic moving seatbelts when you get in or out, wow i hate those things with a PASSION, first time i drove it the dam thing slappeed me in the back of the left ear, i was like WTF was that. Eh I'll just disconnect them or something. Overall though it has 104,000 miles. It still feels solid on the street, braking, clutch, turning, bumps, feels good, the steering wheel is a hair off center but thats no big deal for now. The shifter is all whacked out i have to tighten the **** out of it its all loose and wobbly. Any ideas? I heard it wasnt like a regular shifter, it has tensioner springs and **** like that?? Also the drivers handle doesnt open the door from the outside. So i have to repair that maybe its just the metal bar that fell off the locking mechanism. It has all the S5 (round) lights and the cool stuff everybody wants on their older S4 rx7 like the lightweight roll up windows so im happy about that too, great stuff for a future swap. Oh and it has full exhaust straight from the motor and its loud as bawlz, dam rotaries i tell u.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

As far as what you'd get for it I'd just look at the prices of what things are selling for now. rx7club.com is a good place to look if you haven't already. If it swallows a apex seal it will blow 200-300 dollars minimum worth of parts you could have sold. Yah their fun but you're taking a gamble for some thrills that will be nothing compared to how the car will be after the swap. By the way when my '86 rx-7 dropped an apex seal it drove great with no ill signs. I jumped in the car to drive home from work and that was it. Sounded like a fan belt was flopping around and then half the engine when dead. So don't count on any warning before it goes.

The shifter would need new bushings to make it not flop. Seriously though. If you're going to swap it don't waste money on parts you're going to dump later.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

I gotcha, yea i know what u mean but jus wnated to fix the shifter just because im picky like that. Yea ive looked at rx7 club and am going to look around to get the prices for the estimate for a used 13B rotary and tranny. I really dont think its hurt at all because it sounds smooth, really smooth. Except for the little gurgle and pop at idle every once in a while due to the ancient spark plugs, old gas and bad motor oil it really sounds okay to me and everyone that has seen it. If i do try it at all it will be for a very minimal time period as i have another true daily driver, an '02 3.5 Altima SE. Thnx for the suggestions i appreciate it. I will definitely try to get the mazda drivetrain sold before it pukes on me. Crossing fingers, wish me luck.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Good luck. I drove a rotory powered rx7 for 10 years as my daily driver. They are very unique. Just way under powered
Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

pretty cool thanks so you see they must be somewhat reliable you drove one for 10 years right LOL. Hows that '00 nissan motor in the rx, i would love to see a light weight car like that or a datsun 240z with the nissan 3.5 VQ35DE V6 like my '02 Altima, the 350z motor is already a nice peice i cant imagine in a tiny car

Quick Reply: $1200 a good deal on a clean RUNNING 89' FC RX7 GTU 13b-5speed??? Has 104,000 miles