Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cruise control not working!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cruise control not working!

about a year ago my cruise control quit workin, right after i picked my car up from bein in the tranny shop gettin my clutch worked on. i didnt fel like letting them mess with it bc i didnt realize it wasnt workin until i was already gone, and the shop didnt do very good work. now that im gonna be on the hwy a lot, im just now addressing the problem.

all the fuses look good, the little sensors at the top of the clutch and brake pedals are both working (they are pressed in when the pedals are fully released like they should be). anyone have any ideas? im taking it to a tranny shop tomorrow if i cant figure it out, thought id post up here first.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

any ideas
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

come on folks, someones gotta have an idea after a day.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same problem for the last 100k miles... I hooked it up to a diagnostics computer back when I had access to one... scrolling through a list, I noticed it saying something about the computer purposely turning it off. But that's all I can tell ya. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:31 AM
Launching!

I had the same problem after a clutch swap. If you remove the kick panel and the panel right under the steering column, you will see a white plastic button/switch that contacts the clutch pedal arm. It is mounted on a threaded bracket so you can adjust it in relation to the clutch pedal position. Right now, the switch/button is not pressed in enough and the computer thinks the clutch is pushed in, thus disengaging cruise control. All you have to do is unplug the switch/button so you can screw it in far enough so when the clutch pedal is up the button on the end of the switch is pushed in. The way I explained it makes it seem more complex than it really is, once you see it you will understand. The hardest thing about it is the position you have to lay in while fixing it.

This is very common, but easy to fix. If you could, take a couple pics so others can benefit. Not trying to be bossy but like I said, it's very common and a simple write up could save a lot of people some headaches. I'll do the write up if you snap the pics. Anyway, good luck man.

Last edited by soulless; 05-24-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

Checked it... that switch was perfectly flush in my car. I did have to adjust that when I changed my master though.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

well that was the first thinng i checked.....both the buttons that contact the cluch and the brake and pressed in when the ledals are at rest. i guess ill thread it out farther and see if that button can be pressed any further than it already is but im pretty sure its alread in as far as it can go. thanks for the help, ill post back up when i figure it out.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have traction control? If not, check to make sure the second cable is still connected to your throttle body. The second cable controls traction control. Also, just some general questions, does the cruise light come on on the dash when you turn it on? Is the switch on the arm set to on?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem...i just took cruise off my car, as well as asr. I drive mostly city, and im just wainting to make the enige bay look cleaner anyway.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if the car will start in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed. I'd guess it's your clutch pedal safety switch, although this will usually throw a code.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Won't start without pushing the pedal in here... no engine codes from that either.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike44138
See if the car will start in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed. I'd guess it's your clutch pedal safety switch, although this will usually throw a code.
Every car that ive see with a bad saftey switch just wont start at all.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

well i got to looking at the button on top of the clutch pedal, it was pressing in when the pedal was released, but not al the way in. just unplugged the sensor, thread the whole thing out further so the button will press in all the way. and whalah, cruise controls works again. thanks for the help fellas...

Quick Reply: cruise control not working!