Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Gauge Question

Old 04-28-2003, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Question

I dont know if this belongs in here but its definatly fuel related. Recently i had a 3/4th tank of gas and then i saw the gas gauge go from 3/4ths to over full (where it goes when you full it up all the way). Since then it hasnt come down. Someitmes in the morning it will be under the full line if you let it sit, but once you start going it goes right back to over full.

Anyone know what this could be and how to fix it?
Old 04-29-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Question

check out my reply..... in this thread https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...o=&fpart=1

I am having the same issue... mine seems to be the gauge itself.

so ironic that when i started looking for info about this no one had ever posted about it... and now know knows **** so far. but now that i've been looking people been having the same problem, or so it seems.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Yeah that is my exact problem. It does 2 things unusual
1) Once the car has been sitting overnight and I start it up it apears to be at least a little bit below full, or where it should be. When I start driving it goes right back up.
2) After I use the car a while it will go down a little bit, but when I use it the next time its right back at full, even when I know I have less than a half tank.

If this was the sending unit then it would make sense for it to be stuck at full, but it doesnt make sense at all for it to gradually go down. My only guess is the gauge is bad and somehow it sends the gauge to the wrong spot initially and when the real gas goes down it moves the guage down that much but instead of from 1/2 to 1/4 it would be full to 7/8 or 3/4 (the top 1/4th of the tank lasts a loooong time). So maybe its just the gauge? Ill have to go that test with a voltmeter. Anyone know how much a new gauge will cost?
Old 05-03-2003, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

New thing I noticed. When I fill it up it works accuratly until about 3/4ths of a tank then it goes crazy. Anyone have any thoughts on this???

Search this Thread