Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: Install myself???
Yes install yourself
88.89%
Don't its too hard for someone like you, Pay for it to be done by a professional
0%
other?
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

yes I know... another newbie audio question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yes I know... another newbie audio question!!!

Alright gentlemen, I have have the following components for my new stereo setup- All are brand new
-Pioneer DEH-P5900IB
-Infinity 6022i 6.5 inch speakers (4 of them)
-Infinity 4 channel amp

My question, I have installed a new HU on my last car (98 z28) and installed 4 rockford speakers. But, I obviously bought an amp this time and considering the price to install these professionally, I am wondering if I am capable of doing this myself. I have installed all of the mods in my sig myself with no problems but like I said I am not an audio guru. Is this possible and is there a walk-through or anything I can use to help me that someone has already created?? I love working on my car and would love to do this myself (the will-power is there) but is the task at hand too large for me??

oh and do I need anything else for my installation? I have the following...
-wiring harness for HU
-Car stereo bracket thingy (for mounting HU)
-4 gauge amp wiring kit

thanks guys!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

first off, what youve done so far is all mechanical stuff, electrical stuff is different, the the skill level is about the same. im more comfortable with electrical than mechanical.

youll need speaker wire, in which i would run all new stuff. i recommend 16 gauge wire. ims ure theres a walk through on here for removing the door panels, and the rest of the panels pretty much just pop off. youll need to take off the radio trim (no screws, just pop off clips), the kick panels, the rear sail panels, and of course youll need to run power wire through your firewall.

since the battery is on the passanger side, run the power wire through that side and run the RCA signal cables down the drivers side. make sure to ground the amp as close to the amps location as possible, DO NOT RUN THE GROUND TO THE BATTERY. make sure that when you ground the wire to chassis, sand the paint off the mounting location and make sure that the metal is directly bolted to the chassis. i like to use seatbelt bolts.

the rest is simple (to me at least). post up if you have any questions, but make sure to search before posting. chances are whatever you need to know has already been posted on here before and youll get your answers faster.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Audio isn't that hard, go ahead and try it yourself.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 20' of 16 gauge speaker wire, is that enough? is there anything I need to do in particular about the monsoon amp, bypassing or something? I have done a search but couldn't find much... I am fine with the installation of the speakers and removing body panels (GM's are extremely easy, and almost everything is plastic) I am feeling more comfortable now about doing it myself, thanks for input guys!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

run all new wires to the amp leave the monsoon wires and plugs there if you ever going to go back to stock then dont for get to run your remote wire too when you run the rca's
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah thats what I was thinking about doing but didn't know if it would work, Is there anything I need to make sure to not connect to the HU that would go through the wiring harness?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

basically all your going to use the new harnest for is to power up deck both powers ground leave the other wires alone you will use the remote too then rca's a to the amp its simple
Old 05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, I guess I will try this adventure this weekend
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you installed the stuff in your sig -- then you can install car audio no problem. All it takes is a basic understanding to install -- previous experience does not matter. Car audio is simple to install that as long as you have that kind of "mind" that likes to work and figure things out, etc -- there will be no issues.

I would suggest having a friend that knows a little more around though in case you have any questions/need any help, etc. - which is why I voted "other".
Old 05-25-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fredmr39
If you installed the stuff in your sig -- then you can install car audio no problem. All it takes is a basic understanding to install -- previous experience does not matter. Car audio is simple to install that as long as you have that kind of "mind" that likes to work and figure things out, etc -- there will be no issues.

I would suggest having a friend that knows a little more around though in case you have any questions/need any help, etc. - which is why I voted "other".
yeah I already went ahead and set that up, I will have more experienced friend coming over
Old 05-26-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

good luck with ur install dude..

i believe u'll find it much simpler than anticipated. i was really scared to do anything to my car, electrically, so when i installed my jl audio speakers (components up front, regulars in mid-section), as well as my h/u, i had a buddy help me out. turns out, it was much simpler in concept than i imagined. now actually doing the work - the level of difficulty may vary, depending on wut u want done.. but the idea still remains simple - hook this wire up to both positive terminals, hook the other color wire to the negative terminals. make sure u match the right wires together when hooking up to the head unit (which all it takes is reading skills). its that kind of stuff that u have to worry about. thats it.

have fun with the job. i believe the most important factor to remember is to TAKE UR TIME!!! dont rush anything - thats how u end up with extra parts...trust me. u do that, an u'll have fun and do a great job. and take some in-progress pics!

good luck man!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:05 PM

i voted do it yourself. better than overpaying a shop to do it, good luck man!