Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes sticking

Well, not sure how long its been like this, but due to warped rotors in the front i got some cheap ones at advanced and installed along with cheap pads. Took it to get aligned and the "mechanics" said the caliper was locked up and it would cost $300 for a new one and it took two full sized guys to turn the wheel. 80% BS becuase i would have noticed it driving. Anyways they insisted that they fix it but i refused and drove it home (2 miles ish) and jacked up the car and turned the tire with little resistance. It did have SOME resistance but nothing major. It would get very hot driving on though. I replaced the caliper from a rebuilt one from advanced (need to stop buying cheap stuff from there) and it sorta helped, but still doesnt quite spin freely. This was all in about Febuary. Well last week I was installing my new pads and rotors (ws6store rotors with hawk pads) and im still having problems with it touching and giving resistance. Ive bled the brakes and changed the fluid, installed it properly (passenger side and backs are still fine, just the front driver), and it scrapes even worse with the new pads and rotors (im sure it has to do with them being new), but it was still rubbing (fairly hard) so i took it off before i drove it and put the old one back on there, which was free spinning at time of install but after i hit the brakes it started touching and giving resistance again. Any idea on what could be causing this?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you ever pull the guide pins on the calipers?
I have an 02 with 30k miles, which is also garaged for the winter, and I'm doing the brakes on mine and on my 2 front calipers one guide pin on each was bone dry. Couldn't believe it, so I'm sort of happy I decided to do as much as i have.
You want to use specific brake caliper grease, preferably "CRC synthetic brake caliper grease" or permatex syn caliper grease. They'll lube better and last longer than the silicone compounds they sell in the little packets. Other than that, the caliper shouldn't lock up as long as the pistons fully retract and you have the right size pads & rotors

you can get calipers, albeit rebuilt with core, from auto stores for ~$50. For $300, the shop should be getting you a 4 or 6 piston wilwood. I bought all 4 calipers from autozone, were fenco's, front's were 2 piston, for $350 and that was with core charges of like $50 for each included.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hrm, didnt try that. I rememberd that the guide pin was pretty dry on the first caliper that i had on there, didnt think to check this one...

Quick Reply: Brakes sticking