Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

hotchkis springs with stock shocks...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default hotchkis springs with stock shocks...

So how bad would it be? i don't have the money for shocks right now, hopefully in the near future, but i really want to drop my car, they just look so much better that way.. i know there are gonna be some haters in hear preaching that i need shocks too, but i would really just like a straight answer to how it would ride. Thanks a bunch
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth, I ran an Eibach/stock shock deal for 3-4 years. The ride wasn't all that great, really rough. Yes, you're right, this is a passionate topic, with everyone saying that "their" choice is best. That being said, I now have the SLP Bilsteins, with the same Eibach springs, and I'm happy with the way the car rides/handles.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnet
So how bad would it be? i don't have the money for shocks right now, hopefully in the near future, but i really want to drop my car, they just look so much better that way.. i know there are gonna be some haters in hear preaching that i need shocks too, but i would really just like a straight answer to how it would ride. Thanks a bunch
The ride quality will suck so bad you'll wish you didn't do it. Your stock shocks will probably be shot after about 6 months of daily driving. Other than that, it's no problem at all. I will say that unless you are going to get Bilstein HDs at minimum, you might as well keep the stock shocks because it seems that pretty much anything outside of Bilsteins and Konis are worthless.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

I rode on Prokits on my 95 for years with stock shocks as well as my last 99 Z on Hypercoils with stock shocks. It was fine by me.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnet

I had the Hotchkis on a 1997 for 2 years or so, daily driving on stock shocks. It was fine. I currently have Hotchkis on my 2001 for a couple of months still on stock shocks nearing 100,000 miles. I think the ride quality is fine. The roads are pretty crappy here and I dont think it rides any worse than stock really.

I saw put them on, do shocks when you get some extra money.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't consider the ride or handling of a car on stock shocks and springs to be fine. And that's not the spring's fault. I guess some do. I personally don't like cars that float, bob, wander, crash into sharp bumps.... all that happens because the stock shocks are already too weak for the stock springs. Adding more spring rate and forcing the shock to try and damp them in a lesser amount of travel, when they don't deal with the softer and taller stock springs well isn't a receipe for a great suspension. MHO.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
II personally don't like cars that float, bob, wander, crash into sharp bumps.... all that happens because the stock shocks are already too weak for the stock springs.
LOL my car did that same thing b4 I got the koni's. FWIW I put hotchkis springs on my 90 camaro with stock shocks and it was horrible wayyyy too rough.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Agree with you Sam, but when all you can afford is the springs and you're sick of the 4WD jokes, springs are the ticket. I'll just be that much more impressed whenever I finally "spring" for shocks........ Speaking of springs, any more word Sam?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

i realize my car is not optimum ride quality wise even from the factory, but for me I have owned 3 4th gen camaro's and they are all i have ever driven since 16. The stock drive quality has never been an issue to ME. I'm sure if and when i do get a car with a really dialed in suspension, I will never be able to go back, but for now ignorance is bliss. I only DD my car wth maybe two drag race trips a year. All this being said, I think it sounds like hotchkis springs without shocks will be fine for what I'M looking for, and when i choose to move to a quality shock i know where to come...
Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my last car which handled really well then getting the SS I was pretty disappointed with the handling. I was afraid to push it too far cause it was soo unpredictable if that was all I was use to like you said tho it prob wouldnt of been as big of a deal. Now tho it handles as well if not better then my last car I havnt got to test it out too much yet but the few turns I have went around fairly quick it felt really good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hotchkis springs with stock shocks...