General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

name this problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default name this problem!!

(just fyi this isn't the first time my car has done this)...at a light my car started to shake really bad. the rpm's dropped below 800, and i thought it was going to die. i then try to go and its just completely bogged down. the car is barely moving....and then all of a sudden it kicks into gear i guess you could say and it takes off. is this a slipping tranny or what? i wouldn't think it would be if i was having idle problems. sometimes the car will surge if im sitting at a light, but these problems are inconsistant and sparatic. does anyone have any idea?

**i did have an SES light come on a few weeks ago. i went and got it scanned and it was the 2nd bank o2 sensor. i had the code cleared, and it hasn't popped up since**

sorry for the novel, please help!!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Bogging at low rpm can be a clogged fuel filter or dirty fuel injectors. When the pressure builds it can usually overcome the clog/dirt and the car will take off and be fine with higher rpm's.

A bad 02 sensor can cause all kinds of crazy ****, including a bogged engine, but the engine will still drive. Usually bad 02's are associated with backfiring, spitting, sputtering and jsut running like ***.

When both of my 02's were bad at the same time from the wires having beedn melted against the headers, I got absolutely no SES light. But the scan showed it.

I would think if the scan showed your 02, thats what it is.

How many miles do ya have on these 02's?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wooo!! so you don't think im looking at tranny problems then?

umm i replaced the first bank o2 a few months ago, but the 2nd one...i have no clue. i guess i'll do the smart thing and go down the list of things to replace until i figure it out.

to unclog my fuel injectors, do i just need to seafoam the car?

anyone else with anything to add, please do.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98silverz28
wooo!! so you don't think im looking at tranny problems then?

umm i replaced the first bank o2 a few months ago, but the 2nd one...i have no clue. i guess i'll do the smart thing and go down the list of things to replace until i figure it out.

to unclog my fuel injectors, do i just need to seafoam the car?

anyone else with anything to add, please do.
Sea foam is great stuff, but it depends on how bad the injectors are, IF thats the problem.
Could also be a clogged fuel filter.

Does your engine rev up and the car just doesn't go? That would be a tranny/converter problem.

But if the engine is just stumbling to stay alive and than all of a sudden WAKES up, I wouldn't think it's a tranny issue at all.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickin
Sea foam is great stuff, but it depends on how bad the injectors are, IF thats the problem.
Could also be a clogged fuel filter.

Does your engine rev up and the car just doesn't go? That would be a tranny/converter problem.

But if the engine is just stumbling to stay alive and than all of a sudden WAKES up, I wouldn't think it's a tranny issue at all.

nah, the car will go. it seems like you said, stumbling along and then GOES! but like i said it doesn't do this all the time.