Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting carpet for rear shocks - insanity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cutting carpet for rear shocks - insanity?

I am just sounding this out because it sounds insane to me, and I want to make sure I'm not off base. I just got my car back from getting the rear shocks replaced, and there were two square holes cut in my carpet where the access spots to the shocks are. Is this typical?? I paid good money to have these shocks installed, and it looks to me like they took a shortcut out of laziness that has ruined my carpet. Your thoughts?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it's underneath the paneling in the rear hatch area....who cares? it will never be seen by anyone other than you, and it doesn't hurt anything.

now if it affects the part of the carpet that is visible normally, then i'd raise all kinds of hell....but if not, i wouldn't worry about it

i mean, it obviously bothered you enough for you to post about it, but just take a step back and think....will it actually affect anything?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

No no, it's not in the hatch area, it's right above the back seat, on the vertical area, near where the seat latches are. I leave the seat down though, and I'm going to be removing it, so it's definitely right out in the open where it can be seen.

It doesn't "affect" anything, except for the fact that I keep my car in show condition, and now there are two big visible cut square flaps in the carpet. I know there are some fixes that require some measure of "beneficial damage" (replacing window motors, replacing fuel pump) so I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of them before I go and talk to them about it.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in that case.....break it off in 'em
Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Intragration
I am just sounding this out because it sounds insane to me, and I want to make sure I'm not off base. I just got my car back from getting the rear shocks replaced, and there were two square holes cut in my carpet where the access spots to the shocks are. Is this typical?? I paid good money to have these shocks installed, and it looks to me like they took a shortcut out of laziness that has ruined my carpet. Your thoughts?
That is not typical at all you can replace your shocks without cutting holes. Sounds like they got lazy and didnt want to pull the carpet back!!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Staging Lane

The flaps are "pre-cut" in the carpet from the factory. The upper and lower two edges of the flaps have two (best I can recall) short slices it them. To access the shock mounting points easily, you can finish slicing the carpet to complete the creation of the flaps. The factory intended for this to be done.

NOW..... it is not necessary to do this. The carpet can be pulled out from under the trim and folded down out of the way. This is more time consuming, thus the easier method that was used in your car.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

If you brought the car to a dealer they would have done the same thing. The carpet is perforated for shock bolt access by GM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

They are perforated (spelling?) from the factory. There's another way that requires you to pull up the carpet that takes a little more time. I doubt a dealership will go out of their way to do it that way though.

It doesn't show when the seat is up though right? I don't have the seat in mine and I just used the carpet holes. I guess it depends on how much you care about how it looks.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

mine were precut from GM
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28bryan
They are perforated (spelling?) from the factory. There's another way that requires you to pull up the carpet that takes a little more time. I doubt a dealership will go out of their way to do it that way though.

It doesn't show when the seat is up though right? I don't have the seat in mine and I just used the carpet holes. I guess it depends on how much you care about how it looks.
Yep. Those are perforated from the factory. The first time I replaced my shocks, I rolled the carpet back. The next time, I installed Koni SA's. I knew I wanted to be able to adjust them easily, so I just used those access panels. As long as the shop didn't butcher them, they will lie flat and you'll never notice them.

-Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, cool, thanks guys. It looks like the consensus is that the factory holes are there already, and the shop just opened them up. I won't worry about it then, it was just unexpected, and I've got some even bigger issues with this shop that are going to need to be hammered out. Just needed to know if I should put this on the gripe list too. Thanks, case closed.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pull the carpet back and duct tape the underside of the carpet along the cuts. You'll hardly see where is was then cut.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I replaced my rear shocks myself. I did not see any slit/cut/perforation/etc, nor did I cut the carpet. I pulled it back without any problems. Just had to work it out from under the panel.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-25-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
I replaced my rear shocks myself. I did not see and slit/cut/perforation/etc, nor did I cut the carpet. I pulled it back without any problems. Just had to work it out from under the panel.
Same here, just replaced my rear shocks, removed the rear panels (the ones that the rear speakers are mounted in) and folded the carpet up toward the back seat, took like 3mins. I had no need or want to cut the carpet up.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Restricted User

Geez I just pulled up my carpet...wasn't hard at all. Remove two side trim panels, roll up carpet just far enough to access shock mounts, change shocks, roll carpet back out. All told it took me under an hour to do the entire rear shock/spring swap. I don't even see a need for those access panels. Would be nice for adjustables of course, but you can't tell me they thought of that when designing the car.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could see the lines in the carpet from the factory slits on mine so I just cut it the rest of the way and you can tell no difference from the way it looked b4. Plus I have the koni's so I wanted easy access to adjust them.

Quick Reply: Cutting carpet for rear shocks - insanity?