Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 middle speakers dont work (many questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 middle speakers dont work (many questions)

Ive posted this on another forum but I havent got much feed back, so ill try here and get some more info.

The 2 speakers in front of the rear seats dont work, I do have an after market head unit and I heard that this is actually a common problem. I searched and diddnt find to much information.

I dont know what is causing this, the car came with the aftermarket head unit, I have taken it all apart previously and all the wiring is OEM, there is no cut or spliced wires of any sort.

If the head unit is the problem then I will just buy an OEM head unit and call it good, I dont listen to music too much.

another question: Do the 93-97 f-bodies have the exact same monsoon system as the 98-02 f-bodies?

can anybody help me sort my questions out?

thanks.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

I think your car has a bose setup... not sure, but I know it is not the same as the 98-02's.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

I think this weekend or maybe next, ill go to a junkyard and pickup an OEM one and hopefully that will get all my speakers working.

also do the 93-97 f-bodies have an amp located in the spare tire area like the 98-02's?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

If you have the monsoon system, yes.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcgamer4life
If you have the monsoon system, yes.
he doesn't

read the FAQ -- Monsoon started in '97 (EDIT: for Camaro)

Last edited by fredmr39; 05-31-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Teching In

in a factory 10 speaker car non bose when you hook up an after market hu,the sail panal speakers will not work.the speakers in the hatch will.i took the factory wireing from the hatch and ran them to the sail panal.you can put some aftermarket coaxials there and in the doors. if you hook up a sub in the back it will sound pretty good.just leave the hatch speakers disconnected.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94 yellow ta
in a factory 10 speaker car non bose when you hook up an after market hu,the sail panal speakers will not work.
They do -- were you trying to run coaxials there? The output is only bass... A lot of people do blow the sails for some reason during installs...not sure why, but adding an aftermarket HU wont prevent the sails from working.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

93-96 Firebirds had an available "premium" 10-speaker sound system that was similar in many ways to the 97+ Monsoon system. It had a smaller amp that was mounted in a different location and it didn't have the weird mix of 2-ohm and 4-ohm speakers that the Monsoon has become infamous for.

There was no equivalent in the 93-96 Camaro. Their premium sound system was the Bose which came in 3-speaker and 5-speaker configurations.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fredmr39
They do -- were you trying to run coaxials there? The output is only bass... A lot of people do blow the sails for some reason during installs...not sure why, but adding an aftermarket HU wont prevent the sails from working.
True. Hooking up an aftermarket HU should not stop the mid speakers from working. Like fredmr39 said, these are actually 6 1/2" subwoofers, they're not regular speakers. If you turn your music on and attempt to listen to just those speakers, you might come to the conclusion that they do not work. When you're adjusting the 'fade' from the HU, these speakers do not come into the equation. I took them out and replaced them with regular 6 1/2"s and wired them to an amp and added a sub. Hope this helps, just don't waste your time going to a junk yard to find an OEM, because it won't make any difference.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Teching In

ok maybe some cars are different but in my car when i went to an after market stereo the sail panal speakers did not work not even a whisper.the front speakers were replaced with coaxials. they worked the ones in the hatch worked.it sounds like the op had the same scenario.maybe you guys had a different system then we do
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94 yellow ta
ok maybe some cars are different but in my car when i went to an after market stereo the sail panal speakers did not work not even a whisper.the front speakers were replaced with coaxials. they worked the ones in the hatch worked.it sounds like the op had the same scenario.maybe you guys had a different system then we do
hmm....weird -- this whole sails not working when people replace them, touch the HU, etc. really confuses me.....I can't see the connection between the people that have had problems and those that have none.... all I know is - it happens way too often from everywhere I've read.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

What I think is happening is previous owners cranking the volume a little too high, and blowing the sail panel speakers. The filter from the amp is only letting bass frequencies through, and sorry, these aren't top notch speakers. I imagin they can be blown quite easily. Just my .02.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm with fredmr39 on this one - there isn't any reason why the sail panel speakers should stop working when replacing a head unit but it happens often enough to make one wonder. It is quite possible that the speakers were already blown or that they blow upon first use with the new HU. But I'm curious if anyone has tried connecting another speaker when this happens to see if it's the speaker or the signal causing the problem.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mine work, and I have a Pioneer 4300MP deck. The kid who installed it (previous owner) is a tool, too. Not only does it use a truck's install bracket (which fits just doesn't bolt in, but I like how it looks better), but all the wiring was twisted and electrical taped together. And yes, I have to 10spkr package. I run 12 now too. The rear mids I replaced with 4.5" Kicker 2-way. (I was bored)

If you ever replace yours with Monsoons, say the front woofers, you'll need to use the little circuit board from your originals. They're too quiet with the Monsoon's circuit board.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Teching In

ok when and if i ever sell my car the person who buys my car will think that the sail panel speakers work fine with an aftermarket deck because they do.that is because i rewired them.ok on this system the sail panel speakers take a signal from the front and rear channels.that signal is then sent through some kind of converter/amplifier that changes the signal or impedance.trust me on this system those speakers will not play without some modification.in my car those speakers were not blown or damaged in any way.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
But I'm curious if anyone has tried connecting another speaker when this happens to see if it's the speaker or the signal causing the problem.
That's what I wonder as well... I know I've read of that happening (there was never any sound thru the speaker, but it didn't play after HU install) and then it was replaced with new sails and they worked fine. I *think* though I've heard of people installing aftermarket sails and they don't play after the install then..... -for those cases, I don't recall if new speakers were tried after that or if they were verified as blown somehow... also, recently a board member complained that the eu700s he put in suddenly stopped working (can't remember the results of that either...)... I'd research this more now because I'm curious - but I'm also lazy.... maybe some sort of poll..
Old 06-03-2007, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

did you hook the blue ant wire behind the hu that will turn the amp on the amp is located right next to the pass rear seat behind the sail panel that is the only amp inthe whole car i had a 93 for a while and instaled prof. for a while
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

forgot one thing hook up the blue on the aftermarket harness ant the blue with the white on the hu if you hool up the blue of the hu it will turn the amp of when you play a cd
Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/585781-factory-amp-location-pictures-93-t.html
Old 06-03-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed a alpine in my 2000 ss and the sail panel speakers quite working. Put my factory deck back in and the sails started working again. Now the factory deck is getting to where it doesn't want to play cd's but I don't want to replace it due to the last problem I ran into. If I do and the sails stop working then I'm rippin all the monsoon **** out. Also I had circuit city do the install and as soon as I realized they didn't work I pulled it out and ensured everything was done correctly and it was.

Quick Reply: 2 middle speakers dont work (many questions)