Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer Track + bedding and seasoning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Baer Track + bedding and seasoning?

I have been reading the procedures for breaking in my new Baer Track + brake kit on my 93 TA, and I am kind of confused on the process.
It says to NEVER bed new pads on unseasoned rotors, but I don't have any other pads to use to season the rotors (only one set came with the kit). Does this mean that I have to go buy another set of pads to season the rotors and then throw those away once the rotors are seasoned and then follow the directions to bed the pads that came with the kit? Or has anyone just followed the bedding procedure on the new kit and everything worked correctly, without doing the seasoning? I just haven't seen the seasoning procedures with the Wilwood kits I've previously owned.

Any one that has used this Baer kit or done the C5 upgrade your input would be very appreciated to help me figure out what I need to do to properly "break in" the new brake kit.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but myself being part Scottish, would drive around with light braking for maybe 500 miles, then bed them with whatever bedding procedure you normally use. On new pads/rotors, I don't see there being any harm in seasoning a little before any hard stops.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of the C5 swap (waiting on a few parts), and when I get everything installed and bled, I'm going to go around my block probably 2 or 3 times and do a bunch of 30-5 slow-downs (don't come to a complete stop, just to where you're rolling). I typically aim for 10+ of these. Do not hit the brakes too hard, just lightly. Park the car (using as little brake pressure as possible). Get out, put your hand close to the middle of the wheel or on the wheel (be careful could be hot) and compare FR to FL and RR to RL for temperature comparison (could use a temp gun...I have no idea what temps should be, but they should be very similar from left to right). If the brakes start to fade at all, bring it back home and park it.

Let the car sit for an hour or so. Go back out, do a couple more 30-5 slowdowns using moderate force, then up the speed to 40 and slow down. Then go out for a drive 10-15min or so. Again, don't be too rough on them, just some moderate braking. Come home, park the car, compare the temperatures, let cool for a while (overnight if its evening, otherwise, just a couple hours).

Then you can go out driving. Just be easy and avoid and hard stopping for the first couple tanks of gas, and you should be good to go after that.

Hardcore racers might do things differently, but this has always worked well for me.