Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS with 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS with 3" exhaust?

I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on what I should do with this. Has anybody run into a similar problem? Any advice would help, just let me know what you think.

I recently purchased a complete STS kit for my 2000 M6 WS6. I didn't really think before I bought it, and I already have LT's with 3" exhaust and SLP Loudmouth on it. I think the set-up with the turbo would run like crap because of the pressure. I got rid of my stock manifolds and pipe. Should I just replace the existing 3" pipe with 2.5" to get better pressure for the turbo, or just leave it as is? Let me know what you think. Thanks for anything.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

i think that i would call them and talk to them to see what they think about its there design and they are going to know there systems the best
Old 05-26-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I am running stock manifolds, borla 3" y pipe, and the 3" borla catback minus the muffler and I think it runs perfect. I have test driven other guys STS setups on f-body's with the OEM piping and it feels just about the same and the dyno numbers agree.

The only problem with the piping size that I ran into was the pipe that the turbo mounts to and then is suppose to slide over the vehicles exhaust needed to be stretched to clamp it or welded. I stretched it at an exhaust shop so I could use a clamp for easy removal.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 AM
9 Second Club

Your problem isnt going to be the three inch pipes... it will be the LT's. You need to at least wrap them up... or consider going back to manifolds.

Ask Bob from EPP (sponsor) or Billy aka TRTurbo (member) either should be able to give you good advice.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would go with billy..... but i would also get the stocker back on because the experienced STS guys will say they work best. thats what im gonna move too here soon
Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

LT's and 2.5" exhaust unwrapped here, with nearly instant spool as well! i used to have 3" all the way to the back, but the pipes were cracking due to shitty welds, so i just had a whole new 2.5" setup fabbed at a local shop. it will be harder to fit 3" into the pipe that goes into the turbo, so you will have to have a shop reduce it to fit.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
LT's and 2.5" exhaust unwrapped here, with nearly instant spool as well! i used to have 3" all the way to the back, but the pipes were cracking due to shitty welds, so i just had a whole new 2.5" setup fabbed at a local shop. it will be harder to fit 3" into the pipe that goes into the turbo, so you will have to have a shop reduce it to fit.
what size exhaust do you have?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when i purchased my sts kit i had the same set up you have now, LT and 3in exhaust , borla cat back, i have removed LT gone to stock y-pipe and kept the borla I-pipe , the car has much better response from turbo now than it did with the headers, my entire exhaust is wrapped all the way to the turbo. you can run the car the way it is , you will just have a little lag when going into boost right now i can be in boost at 3000 rpm, im an auto with a stall so it might be slightly different with you m6 guys. there are several threads on sts and exhaust on here just do a search and you can read up on it .
Old 05-29-2007, 03:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all your help so far. I may just try it with the current set-up and go from there.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Your problem isnt going to be the three inch pipes... it will be the LT's. You need to at least wrap them up... or consider going back to manifolds.

Ask Bob from EPP (sponsor) or Billy aka TRTurbo (member) either should be able to give you good advice.

Do you think that it would be good enough to wrap the entire exhaust from the collectors back, or would I need to pull the headers?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Resident

When I was looking into going with a STS from Texas Rear Turbo's, I emailed and talked to Billy, he said that If you wrap your exhuast you would be fine with long tubes. there might be a lil lag, he said nothing that you would really notice.

Now flame me if you like, but I am just going off what he told me.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have long tunes and 3" exhaust all the way back, wrapped it from headers to turbo freakin thing spools up fast and great!!

Quick Reply: STS with 3" exhaust?