Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subthump amp rack sucks !ing it

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default subthump amp rack sucks !ing it

If you've got a decent sized amp dont buy this thing. It really sucks noodles.

Had a slight accident and this thing let my amp rip free. Cheap *** mdf isnt made for mounting stuff. Might be ok for a sub box but it doesnt hold a screw very well after time. It should have been made with plywood. Insuracne covered the cost of a new amp though

Making my own rack out of aluminum and plywood and decorative sheet metal
Going on the hump behind the backseat, you cant use that space for anything anyway and now the t-top well will be fully functional again for a trunk. I'm also looking to hide it ( the amp) a little, I dont need to advertise my stuff, thars how you get it stolen. Pics to come. Not looking to do a full blown fiberglass menagerie either, this isn’t an audio show car, don’t need the weight and proper cooling is important so keeping the amp semi stealth and allowing for cooling is a challenge.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-26-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should use T-nuts with MDF.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

peice of 3/8 or 1/4 plywood would be 100% better than what it is. t nuts arent practicle in all applications. Large washers would work to. MDF isnt a good choice of material for making a vertical amp rack period. The rack realy is flimsy and I dont recommend anyone buy it. I'll sell mine to anyone who wants it. Complete with install kit.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL first you say how terrible it is, then you say you'll sell it
Good luck on that one.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95bat
LOL first you say how terrible it is, then you say you'll sell it
Good luck on that one.
Yea so whats your point? If someone wants the thing I'll sell it to them for a good price. Just because I say it sucks doesnt mean everyone thinks the same. It might be ok for a small lightweight amp.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Huh i got one of these with two 2 channel amps on it and it's sturdy as a rock. They never move and its also nice keeping them out of sight.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm sent!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
Huh i got one of these with two 2 channel amps on it and it's sturdy as a rock. They never move and its also nice keeping them out of sight.
My amp is bigger than both of your amps combined(about 24"x16"). My 6 yr old daughter could karate chop the rack in half. It looks decent but it isnt made for a big heavy duty amp. My guess is you've got about 6 pounds total weight
with those two amps and it does look good( nice install). My amp weighs about 25 lbs.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This sounds like an installer issue
Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95bat
This sounds like an installer issue
Dont be an ***. Look thru my threads and see the install I did and the mods I've done to my car.
the rack is a POS.

My audio isnt listed in my sig anymore but here it is for you

Eclipse 8445 HU, Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4 (thats 200 rms per channel minimum, Its been tested at 948), Diamond Audio Hex series s600, Boston Acoustic G5 sub. All done to look as factory as possible. The car was completly gutted and started from the bottom up with a 3 stage sound deadening.

This isnt some xplode or kicker bargain system and it certainly wasnt installer error. The rack sucks. It should have used plywood instead of mdf. Fitment was very good and the stealth box is decent enough but the rack isn't made for a real amp. It could be with a simple exchange of materials. It looks very nice. Just needs to be improved upon. I also dont like hanging it off the brake lights. I went with it even thought I doubted it. It's almost sold fyi...
Old 05-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I think what he meant by "installer issue" wasn't the quality of your work but the judgement in using a piece with an amp that is four times heavier than anticipated by the manufacturer (despite having "doubted it"). You knew what it was made of yet you installed it anyway.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Had a slight accident and this thing let my amp rip free.
What was this "slight accident"? I mean....it sounds like it held fine (for how long?) until then.... stuff breaks in accidents -- it's almost like saying the material used to construct the bumper is a POS because it was damaged in an accident.....

However I agree that MDF shouldn't be used for amp racks due to it's properties, including it's weight.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I think what he meant by "installer issue" wasn't the quality of your work but the judgement in using a piece with an amp that is four times heavier than anticipated by the manufacturer (despite having "doubted it"). You knew what it was made of yet you installed it anyway.
I asked them if it would be good and they said yes but your right I knew better.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yup, thats what I meant