Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult to swap LS6 oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult to swap LS6 oil pan?

How tough is it to swap an oil pan off an LS6 crate motor for a C5 style oil pan?

I have a LS6 crate motor that is going to require a Corvette Style (C5) oil pan for it to fit in my application properly. I believe the pan on the LS6 now is the truck style/CTS-V/SSR oil pan.

I already purchased a C5 'bat wing' style pan, a C5 windage tray, and C5 pickup.

Now, I've yet to remove the pan from the crate motor. But before I do, I thought I would ask because I see the C5 windage tray has 10 holes on it. And I started thinkin, am I gonna have to remove major motor pieces once I get in there?

I want to be sure I am going to be able to do this myself before I start.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a piece of cake to swap oil pans while the engine is out of the car, even easier if its on an engine stand and you can flip it upside down. If you can handle an engine swap, you can handle an oil pan swap.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Engine is out of car still. Not on a stand, on a hoist. I was planning on leaving it hanging and doing everything from underneath.

Will I need a new dip stick when going from what appears to be a CTS pan to a C5 pan?

Anyone got pics of inside the motor, like where the windage tray is? I'd like to see what I am getting myself into.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2007, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's not that bad.. the Windage Tray is goin to be bolted on the outer Main Bolts, you will see it. The Pickup will be bolted to one of them also, and to the Oil Pump as well. It is pretty easy to get apart.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I see. I was afraid the windage tray would be bolted onto the mains. That is where I don't trust myself. I am going to be better off putting the engine on a stand at least. I can see trying to do it from underneath is really not going to be possible.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It can be done with you under it. I would rather put it on a Stand IMO..just a little safer.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The outer mains have studs on top of them... the windage tray slips over the studs, and then nuts hold the tray on. You could easily do it on a chain hoist, but personally I'd go borrow and engine stand and save yourself some trouble.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Oh!! I was thinking the outer mains had to come out entirely and I was starting to get worried. My next question was going to be if I could reuse the outer main bolts.

But that doesn't matter now. Ok, that's fantastic news I feel much better now.

Yeah, I think I am gonna go get my engine stand and piece it back together. Seems like it would be a lot easier. Plus I got to pull the water pump and replace it with a different model. That's probably easier on a stand as well. And while the water pump is out I might as well look into doing a cam swap I guess.

Thanks a bunch, you guys are great.