Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail panel speaker wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail panel speaker wiring question...

I want to replace my sail panel speakers but when I looked at the wiring harness for the factory speakers, there are 4 wires in the connectors. What 2 wires do I use to hook up the new speakers? The sail panel speakers will be the only speaker running off the factory amp.

I looked in the mosoon wire colors thread but it does talk about 4 wires.

Help me understand this.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Birdie
I want to replace my sail panel speakers but when I looked at the wiring harness for the factory speakers, there are 4 wires in the connectors. What 2 wires do I use to hook up the new speakers? The sail panel speakers will be the only speaker running off the factory amp.

I looked in the mosoon wire colors thread but it does talk about 4 wires.

Help me understand this.
Another subject that has been beaten to death...

The Firebird uses dual voice coil subs in the sail panels. That's speakers that have two wired coils surrounding the speaker magnet instead of the more common single coil - hence four wires instead of just two.

If you're replacing with new subs or only want bass from that location then you can use either pair of wires for your new speakers. If you're putting in full range or coaxial speakers then you can't use either pair. The signal on those wires is low pass filtered by the factory amp so nothing but bass will come out of those locations. In order to use coaxial speakers you'll have to disconnect the 4" mids in the hatch area and pull those wires forward to the sail panels for your new speakers.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not even know what to search. Now that you have turned the light on for me, I understand it and I know what to search.