Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear seat delets with Car Seat.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear seat delets with Car Seat.

I am looking to make or get a rear seat delete kit for my 99 camaro.

What i want to do is make it all flat and put the car seat in the middle.

anyone done this or something close to??

Pics would be great if you have.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2007, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Default want it

interested in doin the same thing, someone needs to help us.lol
Old 05-27-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitesmoke00
interested in doin the same thing, someone needs to help us.lol
I can't even imagine that being remotely safe for a child.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

why not? as long as the seat belt is still functionalble, which it is with rear seat deletes, i dont see why it would be a poblem.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Teching In

i dont seew it really changine the safety that much, as long as theres a functional seat belt, i think your good to go
Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I would agree .. Those seats are designed to work under a specific set of conditions .. everything is taken into account, from the angle of the belts, to the give in the seat cushion when it is strapped in.

Infant seats are not designed to be rigidly mounted to the vehicle.. without the seat cushion to absorb the impact of the road conditions, you would be transferring every bump and pothole stright to the infant seat structure, and in effect, straight to the child.

I also don't see how you could do a rear seat delete without changing the geometry.

Seems to me like a silly chance to take with a child's life.

I can promise you that no CPS certified technician would approve of it.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I would agree .. Those seats are designed to work under a specific set of conditions .. everything is taken into account, from the angle of the belts, to the give in the seat cushion when it is strapped in.

Infant seats are not designed to be rigidly mounted to the vehicle.. without the seat cushion to absorb the impact of the road conditions, you would be transferring every bump and pothole stright to the infant seat structure, and in effect, straight to the child.

I also don't see how you could do a rear seat delete without changing the geometry.

Seems to me like a silly chance to take with a child's life.

I can promise you that no CPS certified technician would approve of it.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I have just seen it done, and i was inquiring about it as i think its a good idea if everything is safe and works properly.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chiet_SS
I have just seen it done, and i was inquiring about it as i think its a good idea if everything is safe and works properly.
I understand .. I was just trying to tell you it isn't safe. there is no way to properly install it if there is no seat cushion..
Old 05-27-2007, 10:01 PM

+1 put the car seat in a seat thats what its made for, but thats my .02

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Old 05-27-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

hah ok, I hope we're all thick skinned here..

But like the Geico commercial with the cavemen...

Makes me think that some people just shouldn't reproduce.

Anytime you value weight reduction in ANY vehicle over the life/protection of ANY child.. you should be f*cking shot on sight.

Ok that's my initial reaction Though if you can certainly find justification and proof that it in no way will endanger the child.. then hell yea gear heads unite and git'r done!

Just make sure it's legally perfectly safe and technically perfectly safe.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

NO real child seat fits square in Fbody rear seats, not even close. The child seat is always wider than the "hole" where your *** would normally go. The child seat ends up riding on the cushy sides. When you cinch the seatbelt down, the childseat just mashes down on the sides of the rear seat and wants to to slide off one side, leaving the child seat at an angle and the seatbelt loose. This is in no way safe to me, at all.

If this guy does something where he utilizes the factory seatbelts, but can have it where the weight of the child and his seat is actually resting on something solid, it would be a big improvement in safety. Some sort of hard, flat panel attached across the rear seat area with slots cut in it so the stock seatbelts would pass through would be great.

I had to drive my newborn son home from the hospital in my Firebird. I knew right then and there that his child seat and my Firebird's rear seats were not a safe combo at all.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by azvforce
NO real child seat fits square in Fbody rear seats, not even close. The child seat is always wider than the "hole" where your *** would normally go. The child seat ends up riding on the cushy sides. When you cinch the seatbelt down, the childseat just mashes down on the sides of the rear seat and wants to to slide off one side, leaving the child seat at an angle and the seatbelt loose. This is in no way safe to me, at all.

If this guy does something where he utilizes the factory seatbelts, but can have it where the weight of the child and his seat is actually resting on something solid, it would be a big improvement in safety. Some sort of hard, flat panel attached across the rear seat area with slots cut in it so the stock seatbelts would pass through would be great.

I had to drive my newborn son home from the hospital in my Firebird. I knew right then and there that his child seat and my Firebird's rear seats were not a safe combo at all.

and thats what i was looking to do. as i have seen a guy in town who has a grand nash and he has his seat in the back seat mounted so its not going anywhere. ans still using the seatbelt.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

there are several brands of child seats that fit an fbody pretty well .. to even out the seat pan, you fold up large towel or two (or three) to give you a level base prior to cinching down the seat. that will hold everything flat, level and in the correct position and angle. do this per the manufacturer's instructions.

Infant seats are harder to install, but can be done safely, although most of the time it renders the passenger front seat useless for a rider, due to how far forward the seat needs to be.

It would not be an improvement in safety. I am telling you that the child safety seat is not designed to be mounted to a solid, rigid surface. period.
There has to be some give somewhere to help with energy absorbtion and dissipation.. mounting a child seat totally rigid, then strapping a kid into it is a recipe for disaster. every bump on the road will be transferred straight to the child, as would the force of any impact.

don't do it .. don't be stupid ..

Dip Stick made some good points.

If the child seat you have doesn't fit properly in your car .. get a new seat .. if you can't find one to fit in you car .. GET A DIFFERENT CAR!

Last edited by Gipraw; 05-30-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

my daughters princess car seat fits perfect in my car
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Werd. My daughters car seat fits in my back seats without smashing the side of the seat down. It hold hers very well.

I'd never even consider a rear seat delete if my daughter was gonna be riding in the back. It's just not worth the chance even if some think its just as safe.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well whats the point in taking out the seats if the seat belts are staying in the seatbelts is where most of the weight is, the seats themselves weigh nothing just about.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is a horrible, horrible idea
Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The ever rare rear seat delete... with seats.

I'm really thinking a way to do it safely, I think best I can is just put it in a normal seat don't try to get fancy like this.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i mean seriously if weight is such a serious issue that you desperatly need to shed that extra 50lbs in your car that you need to remove the rear seats then you probably shouldnt be driving it around the street with your kid in it.

Quick Reply: Rear seat delets with Car Seat.