General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Teeny exhaust leak, should I replace or fix?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teeny exhaust leak, should I replace or fix?

I found a tiny hole in my intermediate pipe out of which i see water dripping. I can't see that the pipe is rusty at all from the outside. Should I cut out that chunk of the pipe and put in a new piece or replace the whole pipe? The guy I bought the car from put in a magnaflow muffler and tailpipes but i think the rest of the exhaust is stock. The OEM replacement pipe is $90. I would like to get an aftermarket one but only see full cat back kits that include a muffler, which I don't need... Suggestions?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a large hole when a home-made cutout put on by the previous owner fell off. Exhaust shops didn't want to touch the hole in my exhaust do to past experiences they'd had with other custumers bringing it back when a new hole rusted through. Finally I found a body shop to patch up the hole, but they charged me $90 (in their defense it was in a tough spot). So, I'd just get a new I pipe.

As far as aftermarket I pipes, I don't see why anybody would make them. It is a straight pipe, and if it's the same diameter, there really is no way to make it flow any better.

Perhaps the best idea: cut out that chunk of the pipe. Look inside to see how rusty it is. If it's bad, get a new I pipe. If it's not bad, you might as well put in a cutout while you're under there.

Search this Thread